Apple Watch (4/5)

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Apple Watch (4/5)

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Getting one for Christmas. Can't decide between 4 and 5. Don't have an apple watch currently.

For sure just getting GPS.
I like the 40mm (don't need bigger than that)
Don't need a crazy finish, so just getting the basic case

I know there are subtle differences between the 4 and 5, but not sure if someone who has had both can speak to the need to go between them?

Apple is getting rid of the 4, and pushing people to the 3 and 5, so it makes me a little hesitant to go to the 4. Seems like the difference between the 4 and 5 that I'd be getting is around $90, so for the extra $90, is it worth it to get the newest one, that apple is clearly focusing on?

Any pitfalls of the watch at all? I'm going to get one band for around the house/office and then one of the G-Shock type ones for when I'm at events so I don't crack the shit out of it. Anyone use screen protectors? I never use one on my phone but I have a ballistic case on my phone. I just don't care for the screen protectors but with the watch I'm a little more concerned I guess?
ImageImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Apple Watch (4/5)

Post by Cnasty »

Get the 4 if you still can. If not, don’t get the 3, get the 5.

Only difference is an always on display which isn’t a necessity.
I also suggest getting the bigger one due to battery alone.

No screen protectors. No case. No need unless you are working in construction.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Cnasty wrote:Get the 4 if you still can. If not, don’t get the 3, get the 5.

Only difference is an always on display which isn’t a necessity.
I also suggest getting the bigger one due to battery alone.

No screen protectors. No case. No need unless you are working in construction.
Well, at events, we're essentially working construction at times, so I'll need the better band for events.

It is for sure between the 4 and 5. Only real concern is it becoming "apple obsolete" sooner than the 5 really. Cases, backwards compatibility of updates etc. Doesn't seem like the always on is anything important to me if that's the only major upgrade?
ImageImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Apple still supports the original watch at this time so you have at least 3-5 versions as an average for support and they do a good job of providing updates to their older devices. Not a concern imo in the 4 vs 5 discussion.

What you should keep an eye on is Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the 4 and 5 and you could get a 5 at the price of a 4 or even a 3 as the Apple Watch is consistently on sale.

The band itself is not the worry as you can use any sport band and be fine. I'd worry about the screen more then the band if you are doing a lot of that construction work. The more expensive models have sapphire glass which only scratches with a diamond strength. The sport models you are discussing have glass but much more prone to scratches in physical environments like i mentioned.
I will say I have had multiple watches and none have scratched ever.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Cnasty wrote:Apple still supports the original watch at this time so you have at least 3-5 versions as an average for support and they do a good job of providing updates to their older devices. Not a concern imo in the 4 vs 5 discussion.

What you should keep an eye on is Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the 4 and 5 and you could get a 5 at the price of a 4 or even a 3 as the Apple Watch is consistently on sale.

The band itself is not the worry as you can use any sport band and be fine. I'd worry about the screen more then the band if you are doing a lot of that construction work. The more expensive models have sapphire glass which only scratches with a diamond strength. The sport models you are discussing have glass but much more prone to scratches in physical environments like i mentioned.
I will say I have had multiple watches and none have scratched ever.
Yea when i referenced the band, I meant that only to point out that the band id be getting had more face protection built into it (raised edges and hard rubber case) not for the band itself, my bad.

I leave for Australia for work on black friday so I'm hoping a few places do their deals "early" so I can cash in. My parents are getting it for me as a christmas gift and they want me to have it before Australia (as do I) so I'll be purchasing within the next week.

Best Buy has the 4, 40mm, GPS for $299 right now. Best I've seen on the 5, 40mm, GPS is $385 (multiple sites)
ImageImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Cnasty wrote: I also suggest getting the bigger one due to battery alone.
Trust me. Especially if you are getting the GPS model.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Cnasty wrote:
Cnasty wrote: I also suggest getting the bigger one due to battery alone.
Trust me. Especially if you are getting the GPS model.
Bigger face size = longer battery length?

Any noticeable battery length changes 4-5?

I didn't love the size of the 44 vs 40 (seems like a small difference when you think about actual size...)
ImageImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Bigger device=bigger battery size

Series 4 gets better battery life then 5 due to the always on screen feature but you can turn this off if you want and then exact same battery life.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Gotcha. Well, I just need to make a decision now lol
ImageImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

What's the use for a connected watch like this or the android watch?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”