NBA Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
nick
Reactions:

Re: NBA Thread

Post by nick »

if you guys want future basketball breakdowns hit me up cause i can hit at a 0% clip as well. Torontos gonna draft a euro and stash him.
jeheinz72
Reactions:

Post by jeheinz72 »

shel311 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:40 pm Klay Thompson has a leg injury, same leg as the torn ACL, going through testing.

Rumors are that it's another torn ACL.
Not the same leg and not the ACL. So close!

I kid - I mean he's still probably out for the year, but I found this funny.
GM of the Fresno Grizzlies, 2071 - on
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 pm
ReignOnU wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am
ReignOnU wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 pm Draft Order:
1.) Minnesota
2.) Golden State
3.) Charlotte
4.) Chicago
5.) Cleveland

First 2 mocks I looked at were the same... Ball to Minnesota, Edwards to Golden State, Wiseman to Charlotte and Toppin to Chicago. I don't like any of those 4 fits (maybe Wiseman if he fell to Charlotte, but we've seen their track record of drafting bigs).

My Thoughts:
1.) Minnesota - James Wiseman
You have D'lo at the point, just drafted Culver, acquired Beasley and still have Okogie (late '18 1st). Putting Ball beside D'lo is a huge mistake. Horrendous defensive duo. Not only that, neither is a natural fit to slide to the 2. This team is built around the buddy duo of D'lo and KAT, don't screw with that. Edwards just adds to the mess on the wing too. Wiseman however, is a legit C. This opens up KAT to float high and outside, which stretches the team opposing defense. Then it gives the T-wolves a tremendous paint presence.

2.) Golden State - LaMelo Ball
Edwards doesn't have the shot right now and I'm not sure he'll get it. I'd see him operating a bit more like Andre Iguodala did. It's a bit risky, but I'd take a shot with Ball. He wouldn't be a full time PG right away, but I think he can rotate through the position and Curry can definitely play off ball. Their offense is built around solid perimeter shooting and often has multiple players with ball handling duties. That's a system that Ball can succeed in.

3.) Charlotte - Obi Toppin
Honestly, they suck and they'll screw this pick up somehow. With that said, they've got a young mix of wing players and PJ Washington really isn't a good suited for the 4. There's no legit big man left, unless you believe Okongwu can become Bam Adebayo (doubt that). Toppin at least gives them a legit 4 and he's got an edge. That let's them slide Washington and Bridges down as needed or work different variations. The best play here is a trade out for them.

4.) Chicago - Anthony Edwards
This is the perfect scenario for Chicago. They've got a variety of options in the post and they've got White and LaVine shaping up as a nice duo. There's enough shooting on the team to open it up for Anthony Edwards. Chicago fans will eat up that D-Wade comparison.

5.) Cleveland - Maybe they'll move to Baltimore.

I still believe this to be the best option for Minnesota, other than trading that pick away. If Chicago is looking to move to 2, it has to be for Wiseman, unless Toppin did something to make them jump, which I don't think would be the case. I feel like Chicago is ok going forward with Coby White and LaVine.
geez 0/5.
Wasn't a prediction. I know you struggle with comprehension, but at least give some effort.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

wdoupis wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:47 am I don’t see that deal as official anywhere and I hate it. Carter was wildly misused by Boylen, he can be a difference maker. If it does happen it better be for Wiseman. Anyone but LaMelo is my stance. I’d be pretty happy if we sat idle and took Deni
Whew, you still ok?
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 am
wdoupis wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:47 am I don’t see that deal as official anywhere and I hate it. Carter was wildly misused by Boylen, he can be a difference maker. If it does happen it better be for Wiseman. Anyone but LaMelo is my stance. I’d be pretty happy if we sat idle and took Deni
Whew, you still ok?
Yeah, most of the Bulls beat writers have said Williams for a few days. I have always loved foreigners and Deni's playmaking would have been a nice fit but Williams has upside and I don't think there was a slam dunk pick here.
Ry
Reactions:

Post by Ry »

Im pretty excited about the Nuggets adding RJ Hampton. Another late round pick with lots of upside. Tim Connolly is a great talent evaluator. But, the bigger question is can a team like the Nuggets ever win a league title? sigh....
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

wdoupis wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 am
ReignOnU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 am
Whew, you still ok?
Yeah, most of the Bulls beat writers have said Williams for a few days. I have always loved foreigners and Deni's playmaking would have been a nice fit but Williams has upside and I don't think there was a slam dunk pick here.
I haven't seen anything from Williams that makes me think he turns out to be more than an athletic defender. Nothing in his offensive skill set so far that shows he can score in the NBA. It could be the depth of the draft, but I'd expect a player like him to be mid-late teens. I feel like he's very similar to Thaddeus Young... and you've already got Thaddeus Young. I'd be pretty frustrated as a Bulls fan. It's as if every player/position setup is just 'off.'

PG - C. White: Good young player, but not really a true PG. Likes to get his buckets too.
SG - Z. LaVine: Really nice young player, but not really a true SG, likes to have the ball in his hand and has a bit of a PG mentality.
SF - O. Porter: Pretty much ok at everything, can't really guard the 2, or the 4, injury prone, not great at anything.
PF - L. Markannan: 7' stretch 4 that can't hang with athletic 4s and doesn't really body them either. Not really a shot blocker.
C - W. Carter: Undersized C, gets moved around too easily, does well with what he has, but should be playing the 4 next to a legit defender.

Then you add a guy like P. Williams to the mix with others like T. Young, D. Valentine, etc and it's just a mashup of guys out of position and weirdness. Just my take from the outside, looking in. But it seems like a mess.

If you're running a 4 out base and going flex with the 2 guard positions, this can work out. It allows the offense to take advantage of the mismatched on ball defender between White/LaVine. It's not traditional, but I really like seeing it when it happens. I know the Bulls seem to prefer Lauri over Wendel and if that's the case, the best option would have been going after Okongwu. He's not as polished as Carter offensively, but he's got elite defender potential and can switch between 4-5 to offset any issues for Lauri. Then you'd have brought Carter off of the bench, allowing you some flexibility for matchups.

Otto is just Otto and drafting Patrick Williams doesn't change that in any way. Maybe the thought is just that they'll let Otto walk next year and plug in Williams as the athletic defensive glue guy, while letting White/LaVine run wild. If that's the case, Williams needs to be putting up 1,000 shots a day from beyond the arc to improve and make him at least a threat. He doesn't have to be a scorer, but if he can knock down a corner/wing 3 at a reasonable rate, it would open up the offense enough for the guards to do damage and for him to slip cuts for easy buckets.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Ry wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:24 am Im pretty excited about the Nuggets adding RJ Hampton. Another late round pick with lots of upside. Tim Connolly is a great talent evaluator. But, the bigger question is can a team like the Nuggets ever win a league title? sigh....
Are they Nuggets that different than the Raptors?

I like their roster a lot, the only issue is that they are in the gauntlet known as the Western Conference.

The Nuggets have hit well on so many players lately that firing at Hampton is like playing with house money. If he pans out, that's huge. Once the team figures out how to consistently work Michael Porter into the offense, they'll be even better. Interested to see if/what they pay Grant. They need him in that Millsap role after Paul retires. Also curious to see if they let Will Barton walk next year too. They'll have to pick their spots on who they pay over the next 2-3 years.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

You have teams of course like the Pelicans and OKC who just have a ton of draft assets that they're prepping to use on the next disgruntled star.

But in terms of top level type teams, I think DEN is most well equipped to get a big name guy to add alongside Jokic and Murray.

MPJ/Hampton/Harris/Morris/Barton plus remaining draft picks. Lots of options they have to add a better player.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

You are right Reign, it is a mess but it’s Paxson’s mess. He should have been fired 5 years ago minimum but Reinsdorf. This new regime has been so tight lipped about everything that I can’t say who they like more than who, they just don’t say anything. Will be interesting when games are played and we can see who they like. I wouldn’t bet that anyone is for sure part of the future.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Achilles tear for Klay, what a bummer. One of the most likable stars in a long time. Not sure he comes back from this.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

wdoupis wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:39 pm Achilles tear for Klay, what a bummer. One of the most likable stars in a long time. Not sure he comes back from this.
Early indications are it isnt a career ending tear. I hope not, one of my favorite Cougs of all time
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

The Toronto Raptors will begin the 2020-21 NBA season playing in Tampa, Florida.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Soon to be shortened to Tampa Raps
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Actually helps the raps cause im sure players wouldn’t mind signing a 1 year deal to live in Tampa
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

nick wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:32 pm Actually helps the raps cause im sure players wouldn’t mind signing a 1 year deal to live in Tampa
Tampa's pretty shitty.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Someone hasn’t been to Tampa. Place blows
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

You guys blow
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

#WeTheSouth
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Free Agency officially starts in 43 minutes!!!

Return to “Off Topic Forum”