NBA Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
wdoupis
Reactions:

NBA Thread

Post by wdoupis »

Guess it's time for this thread and why a way to start......Embid gets 5 years 148 million with potential to be supermax 178 million. Guy is a transcendent talent but man the injuries are scary.

My personal opinion. A talent like that is worth every penny of the risk Philly is taking. They have plenty of time to worry about paying Simmons and Fultz if they are the real deal. I am rooting for Embid and this Philly team
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season

Post by Cnasty »

Going to be a fun team to watch

For about 6 games before one of them gets hurt.

Philly, Minnesota, OKC and Houston should be entertaining watches this season besides the other obvious ones.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

My beloved Chrissy is going to be pushed to the brink dealing with Harden this season.

I think they'll perform just fine, I actually think it's a great pairing, the opposite of what many think with them both being so ball dominant. But Paul is going to lose his shit on Harden, and Harden will probably take it for a while but snap at some point. Going to be some in-game bickering from them 2 this season.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yup, that’s what I am waiting for :lol:
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

GSW-Cle final. Seasons pointless to watch
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Season's gonna be so much fun to watch!!!
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Cnasty wrote:Going to be a fun team to watch

For about 6 games before one of them gets hurt.

Philly, Minnesota, OKC and Houston should be entertaining watches this season besides the other obvious ones.
I am torn with Minny as I love Thibs and I want nothing more than for him to make Minny special and give a big fuck you to GarPax but I really don't like Jimmy. Ultimately my Thibs fandom will win out.

Have I mentioned how much I hate GarPax
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I think Minnesota is a tad bit overrated, but will be good. They're not in that 4 team top tier in the West IMO.

I guess it's a big testament to Pop but I don't even know how SAS was so good last season or how they'll get near 60 wins again this season. The collection of talent just isn't there, but then again, it wasn't really there last season either...not 60 wins worth of talent.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

The Pels have to have the worst injury luck in the league going on 3 years now.

Rondo out with a sports hernia. Early rumors had him out much longer, but thankfully it's at 4-6 weeks now.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

wdoupis wrote:Guess it's time for this thread and why a way to start......Embid gets 5 years 148 million with potential to be supermax 178 million. Guy is a transcendent talent but man the injuries are scary.

My personal opinion. A talent like that is worth every penny of the risk Philly is taking. They have plenty of time to worry about paying Simmons and Fultz if they are the real deal. I am rooting for Embid and this Philly team
saw on ESPN he played something like 35 games and has missed 217 due to injury. Definitely not worth that kind of salary unless there are some stipulations on games played.
ImageImageImage
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
wdoupis wrote:Guess it's time for this thread and why a way to start......Embid gets 5 years 148 million with potential to be supermax 178 million. Guy is a transcendent talent but man the injuries are scary.

saw on ESPN he played something like 35 games and has missed 217 due to injury. Definitely not worth that kind of salary unless there are some stipulations on games played.

I think.....in some way..... games played should play into the max numbers for renewable contract numbers.

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

There's an injury clause in the contract.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

every time i watch the Celtics i just keep wondering if they are even better then they were last year.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I really wish Miami would have gotten Hayward.

Super long shot and never really was going to happen but I love his game...and his hair.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Poor Celtics, got their hopes up.

ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

DRiccio21 wrote:every time i watch the Celtics i just keep wondering if they are even better then they were last year.

What makes you say this? I haven't watched any preseason games, but the box scores look ok and I have a bit of a blind trust in Brad Stevens. I think he's a tremendous coach.

For the most part, isn't this just a trade off:
I. Thomas - A. Bradley - J. Crowder

for

K. Irving - G. Hayward - J. Tatum

I think Olynyk has to be factored in somewhere there. But everything else I think is similar.

My gut is that there is more height, quality perimeter shooting and more upside in Irving, Hayward (working with Stevens) and Tatum.
PSN: ReignOnU
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yea seems like an odd comment from Stevens Lover Dave.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

obviously i love Stevens. i think the Celtics are going to be top 2 or 3 in East. i just don't think that 3 for 3 is really the upgrade many are making it out to be.

Thomas and Irving are both usage 1 guys. you can try to split hairs over who is better but at end of day to get Thomas' production from Irving would be pretty impressive. Thomas had an incredible year. So even if we agree Kyrie is slightly better, its a marginal improvement. people like to split hairs between 99% and 97% but in reality that 2 or 3% difference doesn't equate to a ton of difference.

Gordon Hayward was a usage 1 guy in Utah with a team running thru him. Avery Bradley was probably a usage 3 guy. This will help if Kyrie or Horford or someone else get hurt knowing they can rely on Hayward but i loved Avery Bradley and in his role, i'm not convinced Hayward is going to thrive like he did in Utah. Hopefully he becomes a 1a guy and gets aggressive early and slides right in, but if he tries to slowly integrate i think he's got a fair shot of becoming less useful then most hope for... with that said having a 2nd option to be the #1 usage guy was a big issue for Boston so depending on how he comes out i could be under estimating his impact.

Crowder is clearly a better option than Tatum at this point. not even sure Tatum is the comparable here, more so the minutes go to Jaylen Brown. so you have an upside option that Brown steps up his game (which is possible) but he wont have a ton of touches and Crowder was a useful 3 & D/glue guy who was a willing off ball player.

i'm splitting hairs in my analysis, i think Boston is going to be fine and Stevens is obviously a big reason why, i just think alot of the hype about their moves is overblown and there is a good chance they're basically the same product we saw last year.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRiccio21 wrote: Thomas and Irving are both usage 1 guys.
This is where I know the NBA has passed me by. When you talk about usage 1/2/3 guys I have no clue what you are talking about. Are these real terms in the NBA now?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”