College Football Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: College Football Thread

Post by GeorgesGoons »

BFiVL wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:33 pm I’m not saying they aren’t one of the best. But I don’t agree that you can play 5 games. Have rules changed by conf to play for conf title then get in with 6 wins when other teams have to play a full schedule opening themselves up for losses, injuries and fatigue. Small sample size passes eye test for sure but ND plays 6 games and they would pass same eye test too.
Welcome to covid world
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

BFiVL wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 pm That’s a million dollar question. It’s a messed up year but when I see the ACC, BIG 12 and the SEC come the closest to putting on a real season and you see the BIG 10 change rules for a 5 win team when they were ineligible for their own conference game to have a shot at playoffs. It’s silly to me. They showed up Friday but when 3 of the 4 playoff teams played full schedules and OSU didn’t. They were really fortunate that the BIG 12 beat up on each other and didn’t have a one loss team.
I don't care for OSU at all, but I think it's pretty silly to act like the Big 10 modifying it's rules for this season is some kind of injustice. Everything in our lives is being done on the fly and the Big 10 made their own bed when they lagged behind other conferences to get their season going. OSU did more than enough in their few games to justify being in the playoff. To me, the only think I'd have considered (speaking as an ND fan), is putting UC in, instead of ND.

NCAA dropped the ball because this WAS the year to bend the rules and implement an 8 team playoff.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

BFiVL wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:33 pm I’m not saying they aren’t one of the best. But I don’t agree that you can play 5 games. Have rules changed by conf to play for conf title then get in with 6 wins when other teams have to play a full schedule opening themselves up for losses, injuries and fatigue. Small sample size passes eye test for sure but ND plays 6 games and they would pass same eye test too.
I might agree with you on some level if OSU was the one that was pulling out of tough matchups under 'questionable' circumstances. The BIG 10 dropped the ball on their scheduling. Certainly it's within their right to adjust their rules to fit the length of schedule/time allowed and circumstances of the season.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I'm probably a bit behind on this, but every single player in CFB this season does not lose a year of eligibility, is that correct?

I don't see how that makes any sense. I get if you opted out, but why would dudes who played the entire year get another year next year?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:59 pm I'm probably a bit behind on this, but every single player in CFB this season does not lose a year of eligibility, is that correct?

I don't see how that makes any sense. I get if you opted out, but why would dudes who played the entire year get another year next year?
That is correct.

And I am 100% with you on your second point. If you played you should not get an extra year
ImageImageImage
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

ReignOnU wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:25 am
I might agree with you on some level if OSU was the one that was pulling out of tough matchups under 'questionable' circumstances. The BIG 10 dropped the ball on their scheduling. Certainly it's within their right to adjust their rules to fit the length of schedule/time allowed and circumstances of the season.

It’s not an indictment on OSU more so that the BIG 10. They knee jerked cancelling entire season while SEC, ACC and others waited and planned how to have a some what normal season. Then reversed course starting season super late with no time to reschedule games if postponed.
It put them in a terrible position with a skimpy schedule. I totally understand it’s an unprecedented year but IMO I don’t agree with it.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

BFiVL wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm

It’s not an indictment on OSU more so that the BIG 10. They knee jerked cancelling entire season while SEC, ACC and others waited and planned how to have a some what normal season. Then reversed course starting season super late with no time to reschedule games if postponed.
It put them in a terrible position with a skimpy schedule. I totally understand it’s an unprecedented year but IMO I don’t agree with it.
You nervous that Bama isn't going to walk all over them?
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:50 pm
BFiVL wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm

You nervous that Bama isn't going to walk all over them?

I am not saying anything to that point. It depends on what OSU team shows up and even if the same team that beat Clemson big time shows up, then it is still just an interesting game.
Will be fun though for sure.
Just glad we have a shot!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Ohio St has a potential COVID breakout, and the national title game may be pushed back.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 pm Ohio St has a potential COVID breakout, and the national title game may be pushed back.
That's "convenient" with Fields being hurt
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Really wish the Heels had full strength when we play TAMU. Missing our best defensive player, WR and our two backs really hurt us. Think we easily win with them tbh
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

qazhby wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 pm Really wish the Heels had full strength when we play TAMU. Missing our best defensive player, WR and our two backs really hurt us. Think we easily win with them tbh
How so? I'm not seeing how a 3 loss ACC team was going to 'easily win' vs a 1 loss SEC team that had the 3rd best (really 2nd behind Alabama, if Alabama hadn't dropped 50 on them). TAMU was just behind UC in the argument to get into the CFP. Obviously the RBs would have been better than Brooks, but that doesn't change the play-calling (many thought was questionable) and all of the incomplete passes/short yardage completions in the 2nd half. TAMU's defense bottled up the UNC offense. I don't see either RB changing that outcome.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Easily was a stretch, but I do I am confident we win. We were missing a 1st team ACC wide receiver, 1st team running back and a 2nd team. I think that opens open the entire offense. I do agree the play calling was questionable and it has been as year- not a fan of Phil Longo or his style at all.

Also the SEC was weak- theres a cliff between TAMU and Alabama.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

ACC I believe was 0-6 in bowl games. They would have rocked that weak SEC
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

wdoupis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:50 pm ACC I believe was 0-6 in bowl games. They would have rocked that weak SEC
Not surprised about Notre Dame and the rest if the conference , but Clemson was disappointing. Dabo blows
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

qazhby wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:52 pm
wdoupis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:50 pm ACC I believe was 0-6 in bowl games. They would have rocked that weak SEC
Not surprised about Notre Dame and the rest if the conference , but Clemson was disappointing. Dabo blows
NC State losing to Kentucky wasn't a good look.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 pm
qazhby wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:52 pm
NC State losing to Kentucky wasn't a good look.
I hate NC State so i was pulling for Kentucky on that one
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Dabo has become an insufferable winner
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

wdoupis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm Dabo has become an insufferable winner
Who? Never heard of her!