Cell Phones and Tech Shit

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Cell Phones and Tech Shit

Post by shel311 »

Without looking or knowing, I'm going to guess there's going to be a new Pixel phone coming out soon, would that be correct?

My assumption is based on my battery going to complete shit from one day to the next starting yesterday.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

4A just came out Monday at $350. Cheaper version of the more expensive/better featured Pixel 4.

Newer Pixel 5 will be in the Fall most likely.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Almost a year later...

Pixel 5a out for pre-order now. Really considering the 2 year "subscription" price of $15 a month for 24 months. Gets you device protection as well (usually $6/month) and you own the device outright after 2 years.

So $360 for the plan or $216 to by the phone and $144 for the protection plan (if you want to look at it differently).

Other than losing wireless charging which I've only found to be a novelty at this point, 5a seems darn good.

By comparison, a Pixel 5 would be $700 (if it were in stock) and also cost another $144 still for the protection plan for 2 years.

So comparing $844 vs $360.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

The 4a was a fantastic budget phone and the 5a will be just as good if not a bit better.

I like googles creativity on pricing to get these in more hands.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Im missing something. Why is the 5a less than half the cost of the 5?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Less powerful phone missing some key features the normal Pixel has. The biggest is a way better screen and wireless charging.

The 5a is the “budget” phone.

Still a great phone for the price.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Waiting on the 6 Pro or even wait till the 7 Pro comes out. I've had the Pixel 1Xl and 3XL (same with the wife), and my son has had the 1XL, 3XL and 5XL. I wait till my phones damn near die before getting new ones
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I considered waiting on one of the other phones but the features swapped out from the 5 to 5a I don't really care about. I just like a good, functional phone and I do like the Fi service so my 5a will arrive in 10 days or so.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:48 pm I considered waiting on one of the other phones but the features swapped out from the 5 to 5a I don't really care about. I just like a good, functional phone and I do like the Fi service so my 5a will arrive in 10 days or so.
Love Fi myself. Been on it since Shel talked about it back in 2015(ish). Wouldn't change to another provider right now
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Just pre-ordered the Samsung Z Fold 3.
TMobile gave me $1000 off for trading in a free A71 5G. Cheaper line of Samsung phones in the A line.

Once it is all said and done, will only cost me $13.25 per month for the Z Fold 3.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

dakshdar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:55 am Pixel 5a out for pre-order now. Really considering the 2 year "subscription" price of $15 a month for 24 months. Gets you device protection as well (usually $6/month) and you own the device outright after 2 years.

So $360 for the plan or $216 to by the phone and $144 for the protection plan (if you want to look at it differently).

Other than losing wireless charging which I've only found to be a novelty at this point, 5a seems darn good.

By comparison, a Pixel 5 would be $700 (if it were in stock) and also cost another $144 still for the protection plan for 2 years.

Woke up this morning and my Pixel 3XL was just dead, tried all the troubleshooting tricks but it just won't come back on.

I went for the Pixel 5a, and found the same as Dak, the subscription deal is much better and once that is factored in, definitely seems the better value over the 5.

Just sucks that I'm without a phone and it'll take at least 5 days to get it...that'll be a loooooong 5 days. :|
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

shel311 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm
dakshdar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:55 am Pixel 5a out for pre-order now. Really considering the 2 year "subscription" price of $15 a month for 24 months. Gets you device protection as well (usually $6/month) and you own the device outright after 2 years.

Woke up this morning and my Pixel 3XL was just dead, tried all the troubleshooting tricks but it just won't come back on.

I went for the Pixel 5a, and found the same as Dak, the subscription deal is much better and once that is factored in, definitely seems the better value over the 5.

Just sucks that I'm without a phone and it'll take at least 5 days to get it...that'll be a loooooong 5 days. :|
What about data a pics on the phone? Lost to the netherworld??
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

cougnix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:15 pm What about data a pics on the phone? Lost to the netherworld??
Nah, it should all be backed up on my Google account. I have everything set to sync. But I guess I'll find out for sure in a few days lol.

Nowadays, my phone is honestly used probably 99% for NDL boards, Twitter, Slack, texting. I probably don't even have that many pics or anything else I'd be super bummed that I'm missing if I lost my last year or 2 worth of pics.

That's why I opted for the 5a with the cheapest deal possible, I don't do much with my phone that required a $900 phone any more...well technically I never did but still always paid up for it :lol:
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

That's why I wait 3+ years now to get a new phone. Sucks paying $1k for 3 phones.

Luckily my 3XL and the wife's 3 are holding up strong. Like you, I don't use my phone to it's capability. I use it for the forums, facespace and pictures for my business.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I hate talking with support centers!

Told the guy the phone is dead and won't power up. His first troubleshooting step to me was to power up the phone
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

lol, now that is funny.

I am loving the Z Fold 3. Very nice when you unfold it. Was watching the OSU game Saturday night while at a trunk or treat.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:46 pm Told the guy the phone is dead and won't power up.
Happened to my Pixel phone about a month ago, just went ahead and upgraded when it couldn't be fixed without having to pay anything to fix it.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:46 pm Told the guy the phone is dead and won't power up.
Happened to my Pixel phone about a month ago, just went ahead and upgraded when it couldn't be fixed without having to pay anything to fix it.
It's my son's Pixel 4 XL. tried calling customer support but they have been closed for the last 24 hours. Had to talk to some Indian guy on chat. Replacement will cost me $99 for the device.

We were driving yesterday and he was in the back seat and he dropped the phone to his feet and it won't power up now. He said he looked up problems with the phone and he said the connectors to the battery fail pretty often. Probably just dislodged the connection
ImageImageImage
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Weve had Pixels for the last 5 yrs or so. Love the phones overall, but they are not terribly durable. They seem to shit out about 2-3 yrs in, at which point I simply replace. Frustrating though bc Id still probably be using the original pixel if it was still running.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Weasel wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 pm Weve had Pixels for the last 5 yrs or so. Love the phones overall, but they are not terribly durable. They seem to shit out about 2-3 yrs in, at which point I simply replace. Frustrating though bc Id still probably be using the original pixel if it was still running.
Same with us.

Even more frustrating is trying to call support and they say they are not open for business. Doesn't matter what time of day I call.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”