Cell Phones and Tech Shit

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Re: Cell Phones and Tech Shit

Post by The_Niddler »

dakshdar wrote:I know with Spectrum I can get 400 mbps for another $20 a month, but it seems like I'm wifi limited at this point (it's not going to improve there). Only thing the extra could help with is overall bandwidth (maybe?) but I'll wait a little to see if we have an issue with that.

The last thing I have to check (on my day off Friday) - right now I run my modem to an older router that I use as a switch and then have my mesh network connected to that. I can't imagine it will make much difference but I'm going to go direct to the mesh network router instead and use the extra ethernet port there to get the signal over to the older router (that I may replace with a switch anyway).

The other router isn't that old and I'm sure the hardwired ports in it are not hurting my bandwidth, but it's worth a check.

If you do not have the older router in bridged mode, yes, having two routers can cause issues, especially if the old one is still broadcasting a wifi signal.

Get yourself a regular switch if all you need is ports:
8 Port Gigabit switch for $32.99:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-G ... 4ff99dc6d5
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Weasel wrote:Just looked (probably should have remember to do this from the jump) and this is the model modem I have:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit- ... B01M981YYL
Looking at the specs, seems like this should be plenty capable of doing the job, no?

That is very capable of doing the job and a very nice modem.
I thought you bought the one I linked to that ended up having the chipset defect.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

I did buy the one you linked, which Im going to likely return. I already owned the netgear
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

The_Niddler wrote:
dakshdar wrote:I know with Spectrum I can get 400 mbps for another $20 a month, but it seems like I'm wifi limited at this point (it's not going to improve there). Only thing the extra could help with is overall bandwidth (maybe?) but I'll wait a little to see if we have an issue with that.

The last thing I have to check (on my day off Friday) - right now I run my modem to an older router that I use as a switch and then have my mesh network connected to that. I can't imagine it will make much difference but I'm going to go direct to the mesh network router instead and use the extra ethernet port there to get the signal over to the older router (that I may replace with a switch anyway).

The other router isn't that old and I'm sure the hardwired ports in it are not hurting my bandwidth, but it's worth a check.

If you do not have the older router in bridged mode, yes, having two routers can cause issues, especially if the old one is still broadcasting a wifi signal.

Get yourself a regular switch if all you need is ports:
8 Port Gigabit switch for $32.99:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-G ... 4ff99dc6d5
I definitely turned off the wifi on it, but I don't know if it is in bridge mode. And I can't log into it without reseting it because I can't remember the password.

I think I'll pick up a switch at Fry's tomorrow.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Got things corrected. Modem to the mesh router. Older router in bridge mode (far as I can tell). Some weird "Device Prioritization" setting on the mesh router was also messing things up. After all that, I get 140+ MBPS almost all around the house on WiFi and the desktop and other hard wired devices get 225 MBPS.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Easiest remote to control YouTube TV?
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

DRWebs wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 pm Easiest remote to control YouTube TV?

Phone?
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Weasel wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 pm
DRWebs wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 pm Easiest remote to control YouTube TV?

Phone?
Specific app?
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

I just use the YouTube TV app on the phone and casts to TV. Very simple
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Weasel wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:14 pm I just use the YouTube TV app on the phone and casts to TV. Very simple
Ahh I guess my problem was clicking on the app on the TV instead of doing everything from the phone... I'll give it a shot, thanks
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRWebs wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:17 pm I guess my problem was clicking on the app on the TV
This discussion has me so confused.

Whatever you "clicked" on the app on the TV, why can't you use that as your remote?
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Didn't know if there was something that was more traditional as far as having a guide button. I don't know maybe I'm just not liking their setup

Turn TV on, scroll down to app list, scroll over to YouTube TV, scroll over to Live to get to Guide. First world problems, I cant cope with having to do four steps instead of two :lol:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Their setup is terrible but it’s the best we have with no more Vue. :(
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

If I have relatives over, they would have to not only have the app on their phone but also sign into my account if I wasn't around?
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

DRWebs wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 pm If I have relatives over, they would have to not only have the app on their phone but also sign into my account if I wasn't around?
Yeah when the parents are over to babysit we give them a tablet to control from since our TV isn't "smart"
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

Has anyone else had this problem?

I call my wife's cell phone from mine her phone rings a few times then someone else answers the call? We have checked her call forwarding setting and it isn't set up to forward calls. Other people have tried to call her and it does the same thing if she doesn't immediately answer when it rings.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:55 pm Has anyone else had this problem?

I call my wife's cell phone from mine her phone rings a few times then someone else answers the call? We have checked her call forwarding setting and it isn't set up to forward calls. Other people have tried to call her and it does the same thing if she doesn't immediately answer when it rings.
Once. Never had an issue after that one time though
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I would be calling the carrier!
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

Ever run with and iPhone 6, 6+, 7 or 7+ that had battery issues?

Settlement website for submission https://smartphoneperformancesettlement ... -claim.php
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I gave my son my original Pixel last year when I got the 3XL. It finally shit the bed and he is now running with the 4XL. That thing is nice. Told him that was the last phone I ever buy for him, it's time to start adultimg.

I always wait at least 2 years before buying a new phone so I guess I'll wait for the 5 or 6 before upgrading again.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”