Golf- Iron sets

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Weasel
Reactions:

Golf- Iron sets

Post by Weasel »

Im interested in getting a new set of irons this year, but have no idea where to start. I last bought my Cleveland TA-7 set about 7-8 years ago when I was much more up to date with the various equipment. No real reason for getting a new set other than theyre getting worn a bit, and my 3 and 4 irons have snapped against tree trunks in the last two seasons (not intentionally)

I golf 1-2 times a week during the season, Ive been bogey-golf pretty consistently since high school, give or take the really great and really shitty round now and then. I use regular steel shafts at the moment, havent really been any issues. Anyway, any of you golfers with suggestions?
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Re: Golf- Iron sets

Post by ReignOnU »

I picked up the RocketBladez last year. I'd recommend them, with 1 caveat... it's going to take you a few months to really get a feel for them. The clubs are built slightly longer and your distances are going to lengthen. (imagine hitting your 7 iron with your 6 iron shaft) Feels and reacts a like like hitting a blade style iron, but with out the diminished sweet spot and with much more forgiveness.

The Titleist AP1s are very similar to the RocketBladez in their feel and ability to move the ball a little (as close to a blade as you can get), but you won't get the same distance, imo. With that said, that means that you likely don't have to worry about the transition period either.

The 3rd set I'd suggest, the Ping 25s. Very different than the other 2. It's more of a game improvement focused iron. It also has a very distinct look (some love/some hate) and have a general feel of being bigger/more forgiving. If you're a consistent bogey golfer, these might limit your game just a little. In terms of ease of use though, I'd rank them the highest.

Good luck man!
PSN: ReignOnU
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Thats a fantastic starting point, I had actually looked at the Rocketbladez too. Thanks!
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

Weasel wrote:Im interested in getting a new set of irons this year, but have no idea where to start. I last bought my Cleveland TA-7 set about 7-8 years ago when I was much more up to date with the various equipment. No real reason for getting a new set other than theyre getting worn a bit, and my 3 and 4 irons have snapped against tree trunks in the last two seasons (not intentionally)

I golf 1-2 times a week during the season, Ive been bogey-golf pretty consistently since high school, give or take the really great and really shitty round now and then. I use regular steel shafts at the moment, havent really been any issues. Anyway, any of you golfers with suggestions?
Go to a golf store and have them build you a custom set. They will have you swing clubs and custom fit them to your stance, swing and height. My dad did this years ago and he loves them. Out here we have Puetz and Pro Golf Discount are two stores that do it.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

I picked up the R11s early last year and got a great deal on them since the Rocketbladez had just come out. I doubt you'll find the R11s in stores anymore and would have to go online to find them, but depending what kind of budget you are on, that might be a good option. The only problem with that is it will be tough to find a place to hit them prior to buying which you would need to do.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

One thing I couldnt find- whats the difference between the Rocketbladez and the RBZ? Just newer tech?
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Weasel wrote:One thing I couldnt find- whats the difference between the Rocketbladez and the RBZ? Just newer tech?
- The tech behind them (literally too) is different.
- RBZ did the one thing they promoted, hit it longer. It was done with gimmicky club head design/launch angle manipulation. The downfall with them was that they were less accurate than their competitors.
- RocketBladez uses a different type of head design that actually gives you more accuracy and workability than most clubs in their class. You're going to get the distance AND the accuracy, which is rare that a club lives up to the hype. The question with them is that at what expense, because you're going to have to make adjustments to your game.

Here are some real life notes on them to try to understand what I (and most other users) experienced:
- My 7 iron RocketBladez is the physical length as my 6 iron R7.
- My 7 iron R7 was 150-155yds. My 6 iron R7 was 160-165yds. Initially, my 7 iron RB was 170. I've adjusted my swing just a bit so it's now 160-165.
- My 4 iron R7 was 190-200. My 4 iron RB is 220-230.

While all of this sounds great, in theory, it means that I ended up pulling my 5h out of bag and I added an additional wedge on the low end. It also takes a bit to get used to lining up for a shot that has been a "7 iron" for the last 8 years, that is now an 8 iron. It takes a bit of time to trust it and to not subconsciously attempt to over-swing, trying to make sure that it gets there. I felt like there was a large mental adjustment. The truth is, I really just had to trust what I was seeing on the range and go with it.
doc
Reactions:

Post by doc »

I recommend anything Cleveland. I still hit my tour action blades and every year I go out and cant find another set I love more. I love the feel of Cleveland and I think their wedges are 2nd to none. Their Drivers are very under rated. I play 3x a week or 36 holes.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Good to know, thanks!

And I agree doc, I've loved my Cleveland set. I'll probably keep the wedges and just switch out the irons
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I play Bridgestone J36 combo irons with project X rifle shafts.

Two main reasons drew me to them, the combo set-up and just playing a set of clubs that are different than everything else everyone plays. The 3-5 pocket cavity (though I don't carry the 3 and carry a Titleist 2 hybrid instead), 6-7 cavity back, and 8-PW blades means all the clubs are equally easy to hit but all are still forged iron heads. For me, they also have very definite yardage increments. The jump from the PW to the 9 is 15 yards (120 to 135), but then every iron above that is a 10 yard increment for me (up to 185 with the 4). That make is very easy to determine what I need to play on full shots given the distance. My biggest "in-between in my set is the 120 of my PW down to the 100 of my Gap.

If I didn't play Bridgestone's I'd probably be looking into Mizuno irons as those were my second favorite when I was searching for new irons a few years back.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

dakshdar wrote:I play Bridgestone J36 combo irons with project X rifle shafts.

Two main reasons drew me to them, the combo set-up and just playing a set of clubs that are different than everything else everyone plays. The 3-5 pocket cavity (though I don't carry the 3 and carry a Titleist 2 hybrid instead), 6-7 cavity back, and 8-PW blades means all the clubs are equally easy to hit but all are still forged iron heads. For me, they also have very definite yardage increments. The jump from the PW to the 9 is 15 yards (120 to 135), but then every iron above that is a 10 yard increment for me (up to 185 with the 4). That make is very easy to determine what I need to play on full shots given the distance. My biggest "in-between in my set is the 120 of my PW down to the 100 of my Gap.

If I didn't play Bridgestone's I'd probably be looking into Mizuno irons as those were my second favorite when I was searching for new irons a few years back.

Good stuff dak. I have a similar gap on my PW to AW (-20) and AW to SW (-30). It doesn't bother me at all though, because it's much easier to choke up on the longer club in that range and easily control the distance.
doc
Reactions:

Post by doc »

ReignOnU wrote:
dakshdar wrote:I play Bridgestone J36 combo irons with project X rifle shafts.

Good stuff dak. I have a similar gap on my PW to AW (-20) and AW to SW (-30). It doesn't bother me at all though, because it's much easier to choke up on the longer club in that range and easily control the distance.

Awesome clubs Dak I almost bought them last yr on sale in winter
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

If you can swing the price (no pun intended), Mizuno is by far the best out there IMO. I've had the same set that I bought on ebay for 300 back in 8th grade and they're still in phenomenal shape. If you can find a recent set, and look at a 2nd hand store or on ebay, you could be in for some fun. Go demo whatever you want at a local golfsmith or golf galaxy and then shop around
ImageImageImageImage
Baker
Reactions:

Post by Baker »

I play with the Titleist AP2's and LOVE them...I'd recommend these. After far as wedges, Titleist Vokies! Though I had Cleveland's before the Vokies and they are nice as well.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Really thought we had a golf thread going and only found this one.

Anyone using PXG clubs? The PXG for Heroes has some great deals. The Gen 4 driver is usually $529 and can get them thru the Heroes discount for $229. Only thing I do not like about buying clubs online is not being able to test them out. They do have a no hassle 60 day return policy so may just pull the trigger. Plan on just buying a club or 2 every month till I get the set for next season.

I will probably get a membership at a course here as well to try to better my game. Have been playing like shit and really starting to think about getting lessons, which I hate doing because I want to figure it out myself. When I played 10 rounds every 2 weeks in Hawaii I was shooting in the 83-87 range. Now I'm just happy to break 100.
ImageImageImage
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Got a Mavrik 2020 sub zero driver and 3 wood yesterday
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

Everything I have is TaylorMade M2, from driver all the way through to my PW. I've never tried out the PXG irons, but I have heard some good things about them. For anyone that is willing to get somewhat serious about golf, I always suggest getting fitted, especially for irons. Everyone's swing is different and stock clubs sometimes don't do the trick.

I joined the APT (Amateur Players Tour) late this summer, and got the Kentucky/Ohio Tour championship this weekend. I've never played in a two day event before, so this is kind of exciting for me.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I wish I could get that good to play in a tourney or tour
ImageImageImage
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

You probably are now. This tour is broken down into divisions based on your handicap. So I always compete against people of similar skill level.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Whittness10 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:16 am You probably are now. This tour is broken down into divisions based on your handicap. So I always compete against people of similar skill level.
I just picked golf back up 2 or 3 months ago. I do play in a league with a buddy with different formats each week. Next week is our last. We have finished 15, 15, 14 and 16 out of 18 teams.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”