Golf- Iron sets

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Re: Golf- Iron sets

Post by dakshdar »

I can't even remember my distances for clubs.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am I can't even remember my distances for clubs.
I used to be at 155 for my 7 iron and then add 10 yards for the longer clubs and subtract 10 yards for the shorter clubs. Now I am so inconsistent that I'll hit my 7 for 155 and then the next hole only get 130 and they both look like a decent ball strike. Obviously I am doing something wrong and changing things between strokes/holes. I'm ordering that Hogan book to read and then will probably get lessons this fall/winter before the next season starts
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

George, I believe it was dak that asked someone else, but have you ever went and had your shot analyzed?
I did that years ago prior to buying the irons I bought. They will set you up with the right shafts for the stiffness based on how you swing, etc.
It helps.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

golf is pretty simple.....the more you play the better you get....its mostly a comfort thing

i am not saying if you have an atrocious swing you'll become great just by playing a lot.

you gotta be able to repeat your swing and its very tough to do, even tougher if you aren't playing much
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

The_Niddler wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:16 pm George, I believe it was dak that asked someone else, but have you ever went and had your shot analyzed?
I did that years ago prior to buying the irons I bought. They will set you up with the right shafts for the stiffness based on how you swing, etc.
It helps.
definitely plan on getting fitted for clubs (where they analyze your swing and all). But from all the reading I've done about it, it says don't waste your money until you can be more consistent with your swing. That's why I want to get some lessons first and then get fitted.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:20 pm golf is pretty simple.....the more you play the better you get....its mostly a comfort thing

i am not saying if you have an atrocious swing you'll become great just by playing a lot.

you gotta be able to repeat your swing and its very tough to do, even tougher if you aren't playing much
Besides the first 4 words, I could not agree with you more. When I was playing 10 rounds every 2 weeks I was getting pretty damn good. Then the kid came around, we moved away from Hawaii and I didn't ahve my golf buddies anymore to play with. And fast forward 20 years and i may have played 30 rounds since then. Just got to get back into the groove and I'll be back to shooting high 80's low 90's and then can get some more lessons to tweak things to shave off a couple more strokes
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:20 pm golf is pretty simple.....the more you play the better you get
Not for me!

Every time I pick it up I hit well, by my shitty standards, and I can break 100 immediately, then the more I go to the range, the worse I get to the point that it's just not fun and I'm not good enough to even think of getting on a course.

Then I pick it up again a year later and same thing... Every time.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

My biggest problem is I don't have the time right now to play. Like any sport, you get out what you put in and need the time to devote to it if you want to be good at it.

But also me, I can go to the driving range and hit it pretty decent, then I get on the course and I don't hit it the same with the different elevations and such.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:20 pm ....its mostly a comfort thing

This for sure. Find a setup, routine, and tempo that works and don’t change a thing. I watched some video a couple weeks ago that said you should flare your front foot out about 15 degrees when hitting driver to get more rotation and power. I tried it and it completely screwed me up. I went back to what I had been doing and started hitting it well again. Keep in mind that 15 degrees equates to pointing your toes a couple inches more to the left. Find your comfort zone and stick with it.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

The_Niddler wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:50 pm But also me, I can go to the driving range and hit it pretty decent, then I get on the course and I don't hit it the same with the different elevations and such.
I’ve been the same way. Something I do to combat this is to mentally play a course at the driving range. It’s easy to go to the range, get yourself in a rhythm, and feel really good about yourself. Obviously you can’t really get that rhythm going on the course because you’re not hitting 30 straight balls with the same club. So I’ll hit a driver off the tee for my first shot on the range. Most courses open with a 4 so you’re going to have to be able to hit your driver cold. Then I will play a course I know well in my head and switch clubs and scenarios as I “play” through it on the range.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Got my new driver and I’m in love. I can mishit it by about 1/2” in any direction on the face and still get it in the fairway with good distance off a nice smooth swing.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:09 pm Got my new driver and I’m in love. I can mishit it by about 1/2” in any direction on the face and still get it in the fairway with good distance off a nice smooth swing.
Which one did you get? I really want that PXG driver but I hate that I cannot test it out prior to using it
ImageImageImage
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Ping G425
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Replaced everything in my bag, except my putter, Spring 2021...
Titleist TSi2 Driver: 9 deg., 75g Tensei AV White Raw Tour X 2.0 shaft, -1/2" (yes.. I need all of the control help I can get)
Titleist TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg * TSi2 4 Hybrid 21 deg: Tensei AV White Raw Tour X 2.0, Std
Mizuno JPX921 5i through PW: Dynamic Gold X100 shafts, +1/2
Vokey SM8 - 48 10 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind (best out of sand/rough), 58 08 bounce M grind (low bounce, cleaner lies around the green and fairway under 80)

I really wanted to buy a blacked out Evnroll ER2 putter, but just for fun, I put massive jumbo Super Stroke handle on my old TaylorMade Monte Carlo centershafted putter... the handle's weight completely counterbalances the putter and it feels like I'm swinging air. Putts over 40' are a real adventure. With that said, my putting has improved so much over the last 2 years and I can't possible bring myself to replace this goofy creation. It looks hideous, but it's so effective for me.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:51 pm
ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:20 pm ....its mostly a comfort thing

This for sure. Find a setup, routine, and tempo that works and don’t change a thing. I watched some video a couple weeks ago that said you should flare your front foot out about 15 degrees when hitting driver to get more rotation and power. I tried it and it completely screwed me up. I went back to what I had been doing and started hitting it well again. Keep in mind that 15 degrees equates to pointing your toes a couple inches more to the left. Find your comfort zone and stick with it.

Just watch Manolo Teaches Golf... he's all you need. Waggle dat shit, smack dat shit, das it!
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

ReignOnU wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 pm Replaced everything in my bag, except my putter, Spring 2021...
Titleist TSi2 Driver: 9 deg., 75g Tensei AV White Raw Tour X 2.0 shaft, -1/2" (yes.. I need all of the control help I can get)
Titleist TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg * TSi2 4 Hybrid 21 deg: Tensei AV White Raw Tour X 2.0, Std
Vokey SM8 - 48 10 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind (best out of sand/rough), 58 08 bounce M grind (low bounce, cleaner lies around the green and fairway under 80)

I really wanted to buy a blacked out Evnroll ER2 putter, but just for fun, I put massive jumbo Super Stroke handle on my old TaylorMade Monte Carlo centershafted putter... the handle's weight completely counterbalances the putter and it feels like I'm swinging air. Putts over 40' are a real adventure. With that said, my putting has improved so much over the last 2 years and I can't possible bring myself to replace this goofy creation. It looks hideous, but it's so effective for me.
I’ve got a Super Stroke Fatso grip on my putter. It was a huge adjustment when I first put it on there but with my big hands it gives me so much more control. I’ve put jumbo grips on pretty much everything but my irons.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:00 am
ReignOnU wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 pm Replaced everything in my bag, except my putter, Spring 2021...

I’ve got a Super Stroke Fatso grip on my putter. It was a huge adjustment when I first put it on there but with my big hands it gives me so much more control. I’ve put jumbo grips on pretty much everything but my irons.
Yeah, same here... I've got JumboMax Utralite (their smallest or 2nd smallest size - the XLs are wild) grips on Irons through Wedges and I've got GolfPride Tour Velvet Jumbo with 3 or 4 wraps on my Driver/Hybrids (it's how I ordered them from Titleist and didn't feel the need to replace the grips to match... they feel really good) REALLY big fan of the JumboMax grips. As a comparison, the smaller size that I'm using is about the same as the largest GolfPride CP2 that you can get. But it feels way better.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Been getting a lot of golf in lately. Last Friday shot a 47, just played 9. Tuesday shot a 43 on the back 9 (front 9 was closed due to aeration), decided to shoot another round and shot a 56 for a 99 total. Should have left when the golf was good, or put the joint down. Went again today and shot a quick 9 and got another 43. That was after starting off with a triple (7), double (5) and double (5) bogeys. Finished with 3 bogeys and 2 pars, one bogey was a 3 putt bogey which pisses you off more than anything. Got a golf scramble tomorrow, pretty sure we'll use most of my putts as they have been pretty damn good lately.
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

What's par on that course?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:44 pm What's par on that course?
I'm having the card sent to me, I think i got the 2nd and 3rd hole wrong. I know for a fact I tripled that first hole. 2nd hold may have been a bogey and 3rd hole I think I may have par'd it (on in 2 and am 100% positive I didn't 4 putt it).
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”