Golf- Iron sets

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Re: Golf- Iron sets

Post by dakshdar »

It's been a very long time since I've played (2 years I think). When we were consistently playing it was great, usually shot mid-80s, low-80s on a good day (so sounds similar to you when you were playing regularly George).

I played all Bridgestone J36 irons as I got them second hand on a very good deal (half price, had only been used for 2 rounds).

I need to get back in the game. They just opened a Top Golf here. Maybe that will get me started...
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

One of the golf courses here has a digital setup at the driving range. $35/hr for the bay and you can play a bunch of courses around the world. The only thing that sucks about it is the "putting" part of it. I didn't understand it at first so I was aiming at the flag it told me (20 yards away) and chipped it up to around 17 yards and let the ball roll to the flag (actually hitting it once on the roll) and it gave me a double bogey because it only accounts for ball flight and not roll. Took me 5 or 6 holes to figure that one out. It's amazing how those little sensors around the bay can give flight path, ball spin, ball speed and club head speed.
ImageImageImage
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Ive been on an absolute golf bender for about the last two years. I put a simulator in the basement 2 years ago when we built our home, and I decided I couldnt be the guy with a simulator who sucked. Got a few lessons (mostly to learn what the sim numbers meant honestly) and for the first time in my life put in some practice. Also read a couple books which we helpful.

I was a 17 hdcp 3 years ago, got down to my lowest ever, 10.4, earlier this summer. Also broke 80 for the first time in my life last month. Its so much damn fun, wish I could play more often but the home simulator does a nice job of scratching the itch for me
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Weasel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:50 pm Ive been on an absolute golf bender for about the last two years. I put a simulator in the basement 2 years ago when we built our home, and I decided I couldnt be the guy with a simulator who sucked. Got a few lessons (mostly to learn what the sim numbers meant honestly) and for the first time in my life put in some practice. Also read a couple books which we helpful.

I was a 17 hdcp 3 years ago, got down to my lowest ever, 10.4, earlier this summer. Also broke 80 for the first time in my life last month. Its so much damn fun, wish I could play more often but the home simulator does a nice job of scratching the itch for me
how tall of a ceiling do you need to have a simulator in the basement? What books did you read/recommend?
ImageImageImage
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

Lessons are so good. My pro picked out what I was doing wrong in about 5 min. and I never even felt what I was doing wrong.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Been playing with my girlfriends dad whos a scratch golfer and thats helped me a lot. He can pick out things i’m doing wrong easily.

My girl’s family is a huge golf family, grandpa is a D1 golf coach (Campbell University), dudes literally in the golf coach hall of fame. It’s crazy how good they are and i’m just trynna break 90
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I bought Nike cavity back irons, 3-PW, over 20 years ago and still use them. I have 1 Nike driver that I bought from like Play-It-Again sports years ago and then 1 Taylor Made 3 Wood and a hybrid iron that I primarily use off the tee.

I haven't golfed in a few years though and need to get back into it. My son has some interest, so I should use that to get back into it.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:05 pm how tall of a ceiling do you need to have a simulator in the basement? What books did you read/recommend?
Basement is 8', then it steps down into a sunken sim room with 10' ceilings.

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book
Dave Pelz Short Game Bible
Ben Hogans Five Lessons

On que for this offseason (more mental aspects of the game):
Golf is not a game of Perfect
Every Shot Counts
Last edited by Weasel on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

qazhby wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:21 pm Been playing with my girlfriends dad whos a scratch golfer and thats helped me a lot. He can pick out things i’m doing wrong easily.

My girl’s family is a huge golf family, grandpa is a D1 golf coach (Campbell University), dudes literally in the golf coach hall of fame. It’s crazy how good they are and i’m just trynna break 90
My next door neighbor is my regular playing partner (former college roommate too, its awesome), and hes always been a bit better than me. Playing with someone better is so helpful. There are always things I pick up on, both with swing but also course management
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Course management and shot management is key for high handicappers. No reason to pull out the 5 wood 200 yards out if you can hit it perfectly 20% of the time. Grab an 8 or 7 iron and the pitch it up from 50 yards.

The one thing that helped me when I was playing all the time was to take 3 balls and walk the course. If I lost all 3 balls I left, didn't matter if it was hole 1 or 17. Walking forces you to take smart shots. I plan on getting a membership next season and will go out 4-5 times a week and walk the course.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

My guess is that Riccio is a low to mid 80's golfer. His posts hunt of having the patience for the game
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Hogan's Five Lessons is the best.

Tremendous difference in my game. That and learning how to draw the ball.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

For the first time in my life I got clubs that are long enough for me last October. In January I started taking lessons. I broke 100 for the first time ever about a month ago. I go to the driving range pretty much every weekday and then I play at least once every weekend. I still struggle with my driver a bit. I like to say that I am a consistent driver away from being a below average golfer. When I catch it right, I catch the shit out of it. It’s just consistently doing so that is the problem.

My favorite club is a utility 2 iron that I got a few months ago. It takes the place of fairway woods for me and when my driver isn’t going I will hit it off the tee as well. Because I’m so tall I buy the heads and shafts separately and then assemble them myself. I’ve gotten good enough at it that I’ve considered doing a little side hustle of regripping clubs and replacing shafts. I am about to get a Ping G425 driver. I’m buying the head and then getting a 50” shaft to attach using the Ping adapter.

Favorite clubs: Utility 2, 7 iron, pitching wedge (I’ve gotten deadly accurate with it).

Least favorite clubs: Driver, 3 iron, putter

Favorite ball: white Callaway Supersoft
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Have you had your swing speed tracked to know what stiffness shaft you need for your driver?

Also, don't carry a 3 iron. If you're working on staying under 100, carry a rescue instead. A 3 iron is quite hard to hit until you're very consistent.

And 1/3 of your strokes will come from putting, so spend more time on that if you can. Make sure you try out different putter head types at the store to see what gives you a good site line from your stance and what you feel comfortable with.
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

With so many different styles of putters, it all boils down to what you're most comfortable with. I changed from a blade to a mallet putter last year and it took me a good 3 months, plus a grip change, to finally feel comfortable with it. Now it's one of my best attributes.

I don't carry a 3-iron, but I hit the shit out of my 4-iron. If it's a hole that accuracy is key, or has a hazard that prevents me from hitting driver, I tee off with my 4-iron. I also tend to play towards the 150, where I can hit an easy 9-iron and put it in good position. Some of the best rounds I've played I've only used the driver on Par-5's.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:04 pm No reason to pull out the 5 wood 200 yards
5 wood from 200? :lol: :lol: ;)
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:38 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:04 pm No reason to pull out the 5 wood 200 yards
I take it you are using the 6 iron from out there? Not all of us are strong as hell or have a perfect swing AJ! Stop bullying me!
ImageImageImage
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am
I take it you are using the 6 iron from out there? Not all of us are strong as hell or have a perfect swing AJ! Stop bullying me!
I'm not all that strong anymore and for sure don't have a perfect swing...not close

being 6'4" helps
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

also, its not bullying if its a single occurrence
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:45 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am
I'm not all that strong anymore and for sure don't have a perfect swing...not close

being 6'4" helps
Now you short shaming me.....I need Riccio in here for some "pick me up vibes"
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”