MMA / UFC - Official Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Re: MMA / UFC - Official Thread

Post by DRWebs »

Khabib suspended 9 months, fined 500k
Connor suspended 6 months, fined 50k
Jon Jones given another chance

Makes sense
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Jose Aldo looked like the killer he was that reigned king all those years. I'd pay top dollar to see him and Conor fight at 155. If he could go about not letting Conor get into his head, I think he wins pretty easily. But he has to keep his cool and not get emotional.

Marlon Moraes deserves the next shot at the title. There is not another guy in the UFC that deserves a title shot more than him. He had a split decision loss in his debut against Assuncao. Since that split decision loss, he has beat Dodson (decision), Aljermain Sterlin (KO in the first), Jimmy Rivera (KO in the first) and Assuncao (choke in the first). Those 3 stoppages totaled 4:57 of ring time.

Garbrandt is the #2 guy in the division, Assuncao is (was) #3 and Moraes #4. Cody isn't getting another shot until he goes on a tear.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Anderson Silva vs the Last Stylebender

Should be a good fight. But I don't like it for Isreal. It's a lose lose fight for him. He wins, he beat a 43 year old Anderson Silva. He loses, he lost to a 43 year old Anderson Silva
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

GeorgesGoons wrote:Anderson Silva vs the Last Stylebender

Should be a good fight. But I don't like it for Isreal. It's a lose lose fight for him. He wins, he beat a 43 year old Anderson Silva. He loses, he lost to a 43 year old Anderson Silva
Adesanya (style bender) will be a champion in 2019
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Fun first round. Silva still has the ability to move slightly out of the way on 90% of all strikes.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

second round much closer. Could be 1-1 going into final 3rd round.

Adesanya needs to be first and more active. Same goes for Silva. When Silva was first and threw 3-5 punches at a time he was taking control of the fight.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

fun fight, wish it was a 5 rounder. Silva took Adesanya's shots with ease. But wasn't active enough to win. He should be short on the scorecards, but you know how that goes sometimes.

The Style Bender should fight Gastelum for the interim title while Robert Whitaker gets healthy.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Connor says he is retiring. I think he is full of shit and is using this as some kind of leverage. He has been trying to get ownership shares ever since his first fight with Nate Diaz. Just recently he said he didn't have to fight as the headliner as long as he got shares. Guy thinks way too much of himself and what he is worth after being 1-2 in his last 3 UFC fights (and the 1 win was questionable in my opinion). I get he is a great draw but not worth ownership shares, especially when he only fights maybe once a year on average for the past 3 years. Give him big PPV cuts but not ownership
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

why would you keep fighting and risk even more CTE with two young kids when you have a whiskey brand thats doing well?

He's done.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

nick wrote:why would you keep fighting and risk even more CTE with two young kids when you have a whiskey brand thats doing well?

He's done.
Why does any fighter keep fighting once they're already filthy rich?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote:why would you keep fighting and risk even more CTE with two young kids when you have a whiskey brand thats doing well?

He's done.
Is the whiskey doing well? I've had it it tastes like turpentine. Absolute garbage!
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote:

He's done.
Why does any fighter keep fighting once they're already filthy rich?
No different than football players. Love of competition?
ImageImageImage
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ6HdvY30w

I think i could listen to the Diaz brothers talk shit all day
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Ngannou on some kind of KO streak
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRWebs wrote:Ngannou on some kind of KO streak
Just watched it and it was not impressive by his standards of KO's. He clipped JDA and he ended up turtling up so he didn't get smashed.
ImageImageImage
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
Just watched it and it was not impressive by his standards of KO's. He clipped JDA and he ended up turtling up so he didn't get smashed.
Agree there, just the fact he's now had what 3 KOs in a total of 90ish seconds
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRWebs wrote:
GeorgesGoons wrote:
Agree there, just the fact he's now had what 3 KOs in a total of 90ish seconds
Dude is a scary man! All the heavyweights will put the lights out on anyone, he is on another level. I'd love to see DC and him fight. DC has shown he can hand with those big guys and he makes it look easy. His kryptonite is Jon Jones and only Jon Jones right now
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Some good fights tonight.

Main card:

Chiesa (-320), Sanchez (+260): I really wish the nightmare would retire. Chiesa is bigger and stronger and better in damn near every aspect of the fight game at this point in their careers. The one thing Sanchez has going for him is heart and a fighting spirit unknown to damn near every other fighter in the world. The dude loves to get out there and bang, but Chiesa is much smarter than that. Look for the Maverick to take him down and submit him inside 2 rounds.

Rockhold (-185), Blachowicz (+160): I'll start with I cannot stand Rockhold at all. Which is odd because I usually love some cocky fighters (Bisping, Rampage, Jones). This is Rockhold's first fight at 205 and it will be interesting to see if he can grapple and keep guys his own size down, he was a HUGE middleweight. If Blachowicz can keep the jab in Rockhold's face and fight at his distance he could point himself to a victory. I see Rockhold out-grappling the Pole fighter and winning a decision.

Askren (-260), Masvidal (+220): The most interesting fight on the card, and the one reason to purchase this PPV. People finally got to see Askren for the first time in his UFC debut against Robbie Lawler. Lawler showed Askren can be beat with a power shot. Jorge has just as good of striking as Lawler, but is much faster than Lawler. I do love some Ben Askren shit talking though, if you don't follow what this guy says you are missing out. He has definitely gotten under Masvidal's skin and that may have been the staggering blow he needed before the fight started. I see Masvidal coming in hot for this one and gets taken down easily where Askren dominates the 1st round, possibly a 10-8 round. 2nd round starts on the feet, like all rounds, and Jorge displays great foot work and hands where he dominates this round. 3rd round Askren gets the takedown and goes submission after submission after submission, which is his downfall and allows Masvidal to scramble to his feet. Jorge dominates the rest of the fight. But, Askren by split decision and the interview afterwards will be worth it. (I hope I am wrong here, I really like Masvidal)

Nunes (-325), Holm (+265): The lioness is the best female fighter to ever walk into an MMA fight. However, Holm does have the skill set to make this an extremely technical standup bout (which is the only path to victory for her in my eyes). Nunes is way too strong and if she starts losing a point fight in the standup look for her to take Holm down and dominate with her BJJ> Nunes by stoppage in the 2nd.
Spoiler!
If this goes past the second round, Holm by decision as Nunes will gas out
Jones (-525), Santos (+415): Jones is the best fighter ever, plain and simple. Santos is a Brazillian version of Anthony Smith. If he is able to put one clean hand on Jones it could be night night for Jones. That is Thiago's only path to victory. I don't see Jones toying around with Santos like he did Smith. He takes him out quick and fast with a Roman Grecko wrestling based fight plan, loof for a 2nd round victory after Santos starts to tire.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Chiesa (-320), Sanchez (+260):
Spoiler!
I really wish the nightmare would retire. Chiesa is bigger and stronger and better in damn near every aspect of the fight game at this point in their careers. The one thing Sanchez has going for him is heart and a fighting spirit unknown to damn near every other fighter in the world. The dude loves to get out there and bang, but Chiesa is much smarter than that. Look for the Maverick to take him down and submit him inside 2 rounds.
Chiesa didn't get the finish but it wasn't for a lack of trying. This was an absolute domination.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Rockhold (-185), Blachowicz (+160):
Spoiler!
I'll start with I cannot stand Rockhold at all. Which is odd because I usually love some cocky fighters (Bisping, Rampage, Jones). This is Rockhold's first fight at 205 and it will be interesting to see if he can grapple and keep guys his own size down, he was a HUGE middleweight. If Blachowicz can keep the jab in Rockhold's face and fight at his distance he could point himself to a victory. I see Rockhold out-grappling the Pole fighter and winning a decision.
Rockhold got SMOKED! with a left hand. This was one of those KO's that Luke may never recover from. Luke was rocked at the bell after the first inning and I am not sure he was fully recovered. Blachowicz landed a left that Tyson would have been proud of. Rockhold shit talked the whole time and has paid the ultimate price.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”