Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by Cnasty »

I’ve booked so much cheap travel for 2021 it’s crazy. With the cards we have it’s easily cancellable and major points as well.

This is a great deal.

Now is definitely the time to try to lock some later trips in.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:39 pm
Cnasty wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:35 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:31 pm Ghislaine Maxwell finally arrested in NH on sex abuse charges.
O/U set at 13 days before she "commits suicide"
I hope hillary doesn't get to her. I hope she dimes out all these powerful men so they can go to prison as well and "commit suicide"
No chance. She's been hardcore denying everything the whole time, that's not changing. She'll take the early retirement when it's provided.
Report going around yesterday/this morning is that she's going to cooperate. I don't believe it. This has gone on for so long and is so corrupt, I just don't see a scenario where anything comes from this (well, other than her dead or locked up forever... or she gets off completely and never says a word).
PSN: ReignOnU
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I also saw pundits talking that she will be watched 24/7 as well so she will be safe. Wasn't Epstein on suicide watch too?
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Happy treason day fellow Americans!
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Fucking AC is not working right now. Went out and cleaned the coils, changed air filter. Back to Lowes to get a new thermostat. If that doesn't work you guys have any other ideas?
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I just posted on your FB, but could be as simple as needing charged or has too much freon depending on when you had it filled.
If you have a new, digital thermostat, does it give you an error on it?
Ours was not turning on the outside heat pump about a year ago. It was giving a high pressure lock error and had too much freon in it.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am Fucking AC is not working right now. Went out and cleaned the coils, changed air filter. Back to Lowes to get a new thermostat. If that doesn't work you guys have any other ideas?
my parents AC just died and it was a 'simple' $150 mother board

how old is your unit and handler
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:15 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am Fucking AC is not working right now. Went out and cleaned the coils, changed air filter. Back to Lowes to get a new thermostat. If that doesn't work you guys have any other ideas?
my parents AC just died and it was a 'simple' $150 mother board

how old is your unit and handler
Had a buddy come over that does HVAC. It was the capacitor
ImageImageImage
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

10% in a roth and 10% in a 401k am i doing this right?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

qazhby wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm 10% in a roth and 10% in a 401k am i doing this right?
You are better off buying pure cocaine and then cutting it slightly for the real returns you want
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Slightly?
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

qazhby wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm 10% in a roth and 10% in a 401k am i doing this right?
If you can afford it, max out both
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Weasel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 pm
When you say max out both what does this mean? My employer contributes 6% of compensation towards my 401k, so i was going to max that out, then switch up the percentages and put more towards the roth
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

qazhby wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 pm
When you say max out both what does this mean? My employer contributes 6% of compensation towards my 401k, so i was going to max that out, then switch up the percentages and put more towards the roth

The limit for 2020 for roth IRA is $6000
The limit for 2020 for 401k (employee contribution) is $19,500. The employer can match above and beyond this.
Both of these increase periodically and may change year to year

A reasonable waterfall could be:

-Establish emergency fund to your confort
-Contribute to 401k to get full match from employer (this is literally salary youre leaving on the table if not)
-Pay off high rate debt
-Max HSA if applicable
-Max IRA (traditional vs Roth depending on income), backdoor roth if income too high
-Max remaining 401k
-Pay off low interest debt
-Contribute to brokerage account/529/home downpayent/etc

10% is a good start, but youll be looking at 50+ years of work before retirement. Get that up to 20% and youll retire almost 15 years earlier

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01 ... etirement/

This is a blog post that I stumbled on at some point in med school, and it completely changed the way I thought about savings/retirement. The blog itself is a little over the top and extreme, but it has some useful bits. Ultimately it inspired me to learn the ins and out of personal finance, which can be very empowering.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

qazhby wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 pm
Is that 6% a company match? Meaning they will match what you put in up to 6%?
I ask because if they are matching, you want to put in, at least, the max they will match.
So if they match up to 6%, then you want to put in at least 6% and have their 6% going in too.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

That’s very helpful, i should have the roth maxed out by the end of the year, if I don’t i will just put a large contribution at the end- still confused in the wording of my employee handbook. Says that they match 6% of the compensation deferred- not sure if that is is 6% of my salary or 6% of the $19000, which would only be ~ $2000
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

qazhby wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:42 am That’s very helpful, i should have the roth maxed out by the end of the year, if I don’t i will just put a large contribution at the end- still confused in the wording of my employee handbook. Says that they match 6% of the compensation deferred- not sure if that is is 6% of my salary or 6% of the $19000, which would only be ~ $2000
Typically they would mean theyll match dollar for dollar your contribution up to 6% of your salary.

For example: Say you make $50k. You contribute 6%, or $3k. Your employer would match the $3k, giving you $6k total. Thats if its a "dollar for dollar" match, as another common program is to match "50% of the first 6%" or something along those lines.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

When I worked at Progressive Insurance, they matched dollar for dollar up to 6%, then it was $.50 on the dollar match for the next 2 percent after that.
So I put in 8% of my pay while I was there for 14 years. It was nice getting the company match. You definitely want to take advantage of that.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Met a wannabe joker type on the train yesterday. Told us all he was gonna shoot us and we’d all die at each station. Then I snapped on him (after he yelled at an old lady) and course someone was filming.

Then today some homeless guy down here told me he’s gonna kill me with a m16

What a time to be alive
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:43 pm Met a wannabe joker type on the train yesterday. Told us all he was gonna shoot us and we’d all die at each station. Then I snapped on him (after he yelled at an old lady) and course someone was filming.

Then today some homeless guy down here told me he’s gonna kill me with a m16

What a time to be alive

You might want to rethink where you live. You never have good stories about the people you live around
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”