Parenting Mindset: Boys and Girls

Share tips, idea, health and fun idea for the kids of the NDL.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Parenting Mindset: Boys and Girls

Post by dakshdar »

My kids are young (my son Joseph turned 3 in April, my daughter Madeleine turns 2 in October), so for now almost everything we're involved with is boy/girl neutral - we read lots of books, play with puzzles or blocks, watch something on Nick Jr, play at the park, etc.

But, I catch myself sometimes thinking things like:

It's almost football season - I can't wait to watch football with Joseph when he's older.
or
Oh, the first Lord of the Rings movie is on TV - I can't wait until Joseph can experience seeing that for the first time.

I guess it is totally natural to think this way, but you can see the problem here.

Any dads here that have caught themselves thinking this way before?

Just my random thought for the day...
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Parenting Mindset: Boys and Girls

Post by shel311 »

Trade the girl in for a boy, you'll thank me later!!!
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

My whole family is sports oriented. My daughter loves going to baseball games with me and football. She likes it because she can ask me questions without worrying about being looked at as not knowing anything about a sport. We have seen all transformer movies as a family.....My son loves golf.... daughter hates it but like to drive the cart

Love em first but know they will grow into loving their own thing..........then comes the hard part..........being there for both of them during their time when they are doing what they love....momma and daddy will sometimes have to split up and miss the other ones deal whatever it may be....This is were facetime comes in to watch the other while you are not there.....its been awesome at times.........saw my daughter score a goal in soccer while working nights.. That was awesome.
It will all take care of itself
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

shel311 wrote:Trade the girl in for a boy, you'll thank me later!!!
This is very true also. Yet shel? how old is your girl? NOT THE TRADING PART BUT I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

kdog36 wrote:
shel311 wrote:Trade the girl in for a boy, you'll thank me later!!!
This is very true also. Yet shel? how old is your girl? NOT THE TRADING PART BUT I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS.
I don't have any girls, traded em in for 2 boys.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

dakshdar wrote:
Any dads here that have caught themselves thinking this way before?

Just my random thought for the day...
I honestly thought I would think this way but don't. When my son plays hockey I say things like I can't wait for her to learn how to skate (she is 2).

Or when I went on my annual Canes gear purchase I always make sure to get her something too.

I am not sure why as I would have totally leaned to being that way as well but they are so close in terms of relationship and how well they get along, I guess I include them in all things I am interested in.

I will say though I go out of my way to make separate time for each and individual attention for what they love to do. Boy, baseball, hockey and Nintendo Switch time. Girl, read books and play with play doh. :lol:

Maybe because they are about 3 years apart its different than your scenario but I would think it would actually make it easier.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Kids Corner”