'69 Cookeville Cubs

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

Wasted Memory
Reactions:

'69 Cookeville Cubs

Post by Wasted Memory »

Building on their 2067 success the Cubs were able to secure the top WC spot in 2068 but still fell 12 games back of that shit team Richmond for the division title. The 2069 season see's the Cubs unable to make any roster moves financially and still have a hole to fill at the 3B/SS position due to SS Banks Youngs contractually obligations and extended IR stay. Backup turned starter SS Jason Nelson has moved on along with the retirement of team captain C Jeff Epps forcing the Cubs to come up with some creative {i.e. fingers crossed} moves to fill the holes they left. While these two were not integral parts of the offense they still played important roles in the success of last season.

PITCHING

Future All-Star SP James Johnston gets the call up this season and we're hoping for an impressive ST from him. Management is still in discussions on whether SP Duane Atkins will make the ST roster or wait until September call ups but regardless should see some action sometime this season. The staff from last season remains in place and will have SP Ron O'Dineer back from his early season ending injury.

SP Dave Marks - Will take the #1 spot this year. The 25 year old lefty had a solid season that should have seen him garner more Tom Seaver award votes than he did. Finished with a 2.01 ERA and a 20-4 record in his first full season.

SP Ryan Wolf - The 27 year old pitcher hasn't quite turned out to be the stud we hoped for, but it's not like he's flopped either. There is still room for growth and we believe he can still turn that corner to be a perennial All-Star. Regardless he's still a welcome starter on this team. Finished with a 3.34 ERA and a 15-8 record.

SP James Johnston - Hoping the 23 year old lefty can secure the 3rd spot in our rotation. His season in AAA was a tad rough but we still have a lot of faith in his capabilities. Worst case, we move him to the 5th or 6th spot.

SP Nathan Cedeno - 30 year old iron man Captain. Sported a winning record last season at 16-10 but his ERA ballooned up to 4.87 from 3.51 the previous season. Unfortunately that is fairly consistent with his other past performances but we're obviously hoping for better.

SP Ron O'Dineer - The 32 year old was only able to play 5 games last season before suffering a torn rotator cuff. He did go 5-0 with a 2.76 ERA before being placed on IR which gives us a small glimmer of hope for what he can do this season.

SP Michael White/SP Duane Atkins - White is a 27 year old roster filler with adequate ability that could either find himself in the bullpen or moving up a spot and taking over for any under performing starters. Atkins is a future star that we suspect will be our #1 in another year or two. He may still need some growth before the call up though.

The bullpen is full of under achieving relievers. The potentials are there for a solid pen but no one seems to be able to put it together.

LINEUP

CF Xian Pan - Back after a season ending injury. Will be the lead off against lefties but we'll have to see how ST goes before he gets the nod against right handed SP's. Solid defense and good speed are the keys to his game.

1B Curt Warner - Versatile piece we can move around in the lineup. More than doubled his HR numbers last season and contributed a team leading 125 RBI's. Will spend time at 3B this year as well.

2B Larry Young - Saw his HR and RBI numbers drop last season but still hit solid and kept Nonaka from being the AL starter in the ASG. Center piece of our team.

LF Eric Guerrero - Gave us 36 HR's and an even 100 RBI's in his first season with the Cubs. His defense is lackluster but his bat makes up for it.

DH James Powers - An absolute stud at the plate. Provided 124 RBI's along with his 50 HR's last season, both career highs. Hard to believe we were able to steal this guy in a Rule 5 Draft.

RF Mark Robinson - Another guy who provides less than desirable defense but just enough offense to keep us from moving on. Would like to see his HR production even up with his potential. Will most likely yield his starter role vs. lefties to Adam Lack who provides better defense.

C Duane Cook - Old man simply refuses to quit. Despite his average at best ratings he provides a ton of value to the team. I do expect to see some decline this season though.

3B Steve Hall - Rookie campaign last season was met with mixed reviews. Clearly he has talent and should show some improvement this season. We're hoping his AVG will climb into the high .200's this season and also give us a bit more pop at the plate. He'll shuffle back and forth between 3B and SS during the season.

SS John Reynolds - Roster filler needed due to lack of funds and that brittle f'er Banks Young. Should provide solid defense and showed he had a good bat in AAA hitting in the .300's. If he can keep that in the mid .200's we'll be ecstatic.

There will likely be a lot of shuffling on who hits where but the roster is pretty set until at least late July when Banks Young should make his return after a stint in AAA. The feeling around the office is the Cubs will take a slight step backwards this season as Johnston and possibly Atkins acclimate to life in the majors. A hole in the line up at SS, the further development of Hall, an expected decline in Cook and lack of a solid OF defense have us concerned but we feel the next several years will be very bright for the organization.

Expectations: 88-74
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: '69 Cookeville Cubs

Post by Cnasty »

This team is only as good as billy makes them by limiting your devastating injuries.

Being the league average for injuries is 1% or so, I’d be concerned if I were you. :)
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Cnasty wrote:This team is only as good as billy makes them by limiting your devastating injuries.

Being the league average for injuries is 1% or so, I’d be concerned if I were you. :)

Weird how my team always has a lot of injuries once we become competitive with him huh? :)
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

I think this team easily clears 90 wins and that rotation will be a force for years to come
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

I think its a 100 game winner and Cookeville will make this division competitive for me again. That Atkins/Marks/JJ/Wolf is going to be naaaaasty.

Atkins is ready as well but Pete always slow plays the shit out of these guys
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Wasted Memory wrote:but still hit solid and kept Nonaka from being the AL starter in the ASG.
but not from winning the MVP!!!!!!
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

wdoupis wrote:
Wasted Memory wrote:but still hit solid and kept Nonaka from being the AL starter in the ASG.
but not from winning the MVP!!!!!!

Baby steps
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

SP Duane Atkins makes the ST roster.

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”