Richmond Greeks 2066 Season Preview

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

wdoupis
Reactions:

Richmond Greeks 2066 Season Preview

Post by wdoupis »

The back to back NDL champs are in the midst of a nice run and are enjoying finally having some postseason success. We lost some key guys and did not replace them with near equal players but the core of this team is still intact and we are hoping these young studs are now established champs in their primes and can make up for the losses of Jeremy McGuire and Ronald Davies. McGuire is irreplaceable but we still have 3 big time arms and a lethal bullpen. Davies surprised us by opting out of his deal but we happily paid him the 60 million for two titles. Now, on to the 2066 team...

The Staff

1. Juan Lugo: A dominant leftie coming off another big time season. Was even better than the final #s show most of the year but had a rough month or so. In his 2.5 seasons he has gone 54-10 with a 2.54 era .9 whip, era+ of 175. Has yet to pass mid 6s in war but war is stupid in this game for SP, right Shel???

2. Lou Lewis: Former #1 overall pick who burst on to the scene and had as good of a rookie year as we have seen from a SP. 20-4 with a 2.26 era, whip of .92, era+ of 190 yet somehow just 5.3 war.... whatevs

3. Robert Anderson: A mid season acquisition for the Greeks last year that cost us our other #1 overall pick in Jose Gomez but we are thrilled to have him. He is different then the power/strikeout guys in Lugo and Lewis and has great movement which is something new and we are excited about. Was fantastic in his 9 starts for the Greeks going 6-0 with a 1.98 era. The final piece of our 3 headed monster and excited to see what a full season with this team looks like for him.

4. Gabe Murphy: Ratings have been declining since mid last season but he has been a rock solid guy in his 2 seasons in Richmond. Not sure he will match the mid 3s era but with this great defense we would be happy with something around the 4s and just staying healthy.

5. Eduardo Rodriguez: Another guy who has been rock solid in Richmond with an era between 3.81 and 3.95 in all 3 seasons. We appreciate the consistency and healthy innings he provides and with this lineup that is more than enough.

6. Jose Rojas: FA acquisition that we way over paid for but we wanted a solid 6th SP so we can roll out the 6 man rotation. I am a firm believer in the 5 man but since we anticipate running away with division again we are prioritizing health and load management on the top 3 arms.

The Pen

Now this is where is is just nasty. This has to be one of the most talented bullpens ever assembled.

CL Bob Long: He has been absolutely unhittable the last few seasons and we see no reason for that to change. The only thing hurting his #s is the blowouts make him not as needed. Great problem to have. Career era+ is 281... Tells you all you need to know

SU Eduardo Hernandez: Would be one of the best CL in the game if he had the chance but instead he is just an elite set up man. That knuckle curve is his big weapon and he knows how to use it. Coming off his best season with an era of .60 and a whip of .67

SU Michael Hogan: Acquired in an offseason trade from Nashville and he is arguably the 2nd most talented reliever in the AL behind Bob Long. With this 1-2-3 in the pen good luck with a late inning comeback.

SU Pedro Sanchez: Another elite talent in the pen who quiet honestly I meant to pull the offer for when I got Hogan but just forgot. He makes the pen an embarrassment of riches but should get plenty of work.

The Lineup

RF Norberto Silva: Another dominant year at the leadoff spot last year although his OBP did drop quite a bit but still at .404. Age is slowly catching up to him but we expect another elite year leading off this potent lineup.

SS Gary Weber: Was the forgotten man with the breakout of Nonaka and MVP year of Woods but he led the AL in hits last year with 239, hit .350 while hitting 26 HRs. All this while playing a great SS

3B Warner Woods: Coming off his MVP campaign and just hitting his prime we expect another monster year from Woods. Last year slashed .354/.409/.643 with 48 HRs. Also walked more than he struck out 64/62 while providing such power. We love you WW!!!!

2B Naohiro Nonaka: Probably my favorite Greek because his name is awesome and it hurts Ted so bad when he kills it, what more could you want? He broke out in 2064 playoffs and carried it in to last year hitting .321/.385/.623 with 49 HRs. I am not sure he matches those #s again but anything around .290ish and 40+ HRs is exactly what we hope for.

DH Gunnar Riggall: He was kind of a throw in in the McGuire trade last year but his bat proved to be extremely valuable. He gave us the LH pop we needed in a heavy RH lineup and hit 36 HRs while hitting .290. Anything close to that will make us very happy

CF Walt Johnson: He started off atrocious last year for about 6 weeks and then got red hot and finished pretty close to the #s of his first 2 years. We expect the consistent Walt to do the same. Hit around .300, crank 15-20 HRs and play magnificent D in CF and capture his 4th gold glove out there.

1B Jose Sanchez: Acquired from Boston as spring training kicked off and he has big shoes to fill replacing Ronald Davies. We do not need those type of #s but just want him to play the good 1B he always does and anything around .270 with 25 HRs or so would be wonderful.

RF Eugene Greenwood: Rule 5 pickup that my scout loved and has already completely changed his mind on. He will start vs RHP for now and see where it goes. May get sent back at some point but this team is expensive and we need some cheap options.

C Carlos Rivera: A trade I will really regret if Soo hangs in there as it has so far but C position is a weak one and ever since Shel took advantage of a drunk commish and took Scott Stone from me I have needed a young C. He provides good D and that what we want. Anything from the plate is a plus.

Season Outlook

Greeks are favored to win it all again and complete the 3 peat but it is not nearly as dominant as the team was last season. You simply can't replace McGuire and even Davies with the cost of my team already. SP is not quite as good but we tried to compensate with loading up the bullpen and may tinker around with the opener/follower stuff once we build our division lead. Competition in the division does not look real strong as RI moved some guys and is in financial hell. Cookeville has a great young core and more coming up but for this season it looks like it will be a cakewalk in the West.

Predicition: 117-45 and completing the 3 peat in a WS win over Alabama
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Re: Richmond Greeks 2066 Season Preview

Post by DRiccio21 »

yawn... this is fun
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Stacked to the gills but the Minutemen will give it our best shot!
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

Good luck this season. Greeks look strong again.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Nobody cares about Richmond
ImageImageImage
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

GeorgesGoons wrote:Nobody cares about Richmond
I know :(