Richmond Greeks 2061 Season Preview

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

wdoupis
Reactions:

Richmond Greeks 2061 Season Preview

Post by wdoupis »

Last season was yet another disappointment but at least not as much of one as usual. At least we made it to the World Series and lost to a team that matched our talent. This Greeks team this year is not as talented and definitely not as deep as the past few iterations have been but we are hoping they can make one last deep playoff run before the team takes a 1 year hiatus while clearing debt and then waiting for Walt Johnson and a free agent push to start another run. We have lost 3 future HOFers from last years team in Jim Reyes, Chris Oliver, and Stu Kirk as well as our star closer Leonard Kessler but we made some trades and filled some holes and will hope for the best. Here are your 2061 Richmond Greeks

Rotation

1. Motoshige Noda: Noda reclaims the opening day job after being an ace for the Greeks but getting passed up many times by the likes of Reyes and McGuire but throughout it all Noda has just kept being awesome and still been our best SP. He goes back to the 1 this year

2. Jeremy McGuire: He was cruising along and was on a Cy Young mission per usual and things got pretty clunky for him in the back half of the season and he was simply terrible in the playoffs. Hoping a return to the McGuire we have seen the last 6 seasons or so.

3. David Smith: Was once the pride of the Greeks farm system before we traded him to Boston in one of our many mega trades and we are thrilled to have him back. He is looking like a 1 year rental in Richmond as I can't see him not opting out and we have no money to sign him but lets make your 1 season as a Greek a special one buddy.

4. Erik Wilson: I can't see him ever matching anything close to last season as he leaves the title winning Ducks and the pitcher friendly park but still a solid #4 and we were thrilled to grab with our financial restrictions. We are sad to give up who we see as the greatest reliever prospect EVER in Jose Martinez (my scout has him even higher than OSA and that should be impossible)

5. Jeff Howard: Whatevs

The Pen

Its bad guys, like real bad

Jeffrey Martinez: We love him and think he is ready to be a big time closer for us and was probably our best reliever last year. He is going to have to do A LOT this year for us

Justin Sutherland: Has a really nice year in Richmond last year and we will need him to dominate LH hitting and get the ball to Martinez because these two are all we have

The Lineup

CF Dax Hicks: The best leadoff hitter in the game is ready to come back and do it again. Can pencil him in for hitting over .300 and stealing bases while providing enough pop to keep the OF honest. We love you Dax even though you appear to be a giant asshole

1B Ignacio Ruiz: It is very sad that this will be his final year in Richmond. My former #1 pick and I actually did not trade him turned in to the star I hoped for and has been one of the best LH bats in the league for a decade. Coming off a season where he finished 3rd in MVP voting and hit .345 with 34 HRs

RF Morgan Evans: Also in his final season in Richmond and we would love for him do exactly what he did last year. Play good D, hit over .300, and hit 40 HRs then go get us a comp pick. You got this Morgan!!!!

SS Richard Todd: The worst trade we ever made came home and got himself an MVP in his first season in Richmond. Age means nothing to this guy as he hit .356, 29 HRs and put up 10.7 war. He is showing no signs of slowing down but neither was Reyes or Oliver this time last year so we shall see.

DH Brady Hamilton: He packs a ton of power and not much else. Would love to see the average creep up a tad from his .230s of last year but give us the 36 bombs and we will take what we can get.

C Mike Weaver: Well, he definitely ain't Stu Kirk but we do like the guy. Was extremely productive in 40 games last year and we think he can be a serviceable catcher in the bigs.

2B Soh Yamamoto: A defensive wizard who will be an upgrade from Stanton Witt last season. Nothing special with the bat but he can handle it a little and play great defense

3B Jordan Blackshaw: The big blue controversy. We expect elite defense from 3B and another season of .210 hitting and hopefully up the HRs to 35 or so. Just another season above the Mendoza line would be nice as well

LF Don Lorenzo: We were thrilled to get him at the end of the 1st round in Rule 5. He can play very good defense and we think be a 280ish hitter who can turn the lineup around back to Dax.

Prediction

This team does not have the depth nor talent to be the 100 win power it has been but it should easily be a playoff team. The lineup took some steps back but still has 4 stars and should put up its fair share of runs. The SP still has 3 aces and can be lethal in any playoff series. I think a long playoff run is very possible, especially as their is not a true elite power in the AL. That being said, it will not be the same regular season team as before and I think Cookeville is the favorite to take the division while Richmond and STC battle it out behind him. I will go with 93 wins and a wild card berth

Good luck to everyone and lets have a great 2062 seasons
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Re: Richmond Greeks 2061 Season Preview

Post by DRiccio21 »

Still good enough to win. Elite arms and improved infield defense along w a few big bats equals an easy playoff birth ... after that it’s all a crapshoot
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

wdoupis wrote:we made it to the World Series and lost to a team that matched our talent.
What? You didn't match his talent. He was better. BETTER.

wdoupis wrote:we are hoping they can make one last deep playoff run before the team takes a 1 year hiatus while clearing debt
Only think you'll be down one season. Huh.

wdoupis wrote:Dax Hicks: The best leadoff hitter in the game is ready
You spelled Norberto Silva's name incorrectly. You're a really bad speller.

wdoupis wrote: Jeremy McGuire: He was cruising along and was on a Cy Young mission
Remind me. Who won the Cy Young?

But no....good luck. Really.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

We won't suck more than one season, we will still have 2 aces and some pieces and money after 1 season.

I love Silva and he has potential to be the best leadoff hitter, I'll just wait until he has one season as good as Dax's last 5 before I crown him

Congrats on Rodriguez winning a Cy Young, I have 3 guys that have and McGuire won 2 of the last 4. We will be ok there.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

The Richmond run has come to an end with only 1* title to show for it. 13 straight postseasons including 7 seasons over 100 wins.

Send the group out with a bang!
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Oh yeah? Well....you ignored the first comment.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Haha, I do not think OCD was way better than me on paper. He had a better lineup and I had better SP but he came out on top. Compared to previous years where I lost to teams nowhere near as talented I can live with that.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

See what I mean guys? He is absolutely ZERO fun when it comes to trash talking. ZERO.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

wdoupis wrote: That being said, it will not be the same regular season team as before and I think Cookeville is the favorite to take the division while Richmond and STC battle it out behind him.
hilarious how underrated my teams are every year
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

qazhby wrote:
wdoupis wrote: That being said, it will not be the same regular season team as before and I think Cookeville is the favorite to take the division while Richmond and STC battle it out behind him.
hilarious how underrated my teams are every year
Quick is shot and over achieved last year. Mejia getting closer to washed. Potts seems to have taken some hits. I mean I still put us battling each other for 2nd Qaz
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I freaked out for a sec thinking STC had the worst starting pitching in the league.

Then I realized he's doing that weird thing of putting your starters as relievers because it boosts their ratings even though it won't make them pitch any better. :)
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

shel311 wrote:I freaked out for a sec thinking STC had the worst starting pitching in the league.

Then I realized he's doing that weird thing of putting your starters as relievers because it boosts their ratings even though it won't make them pitch any better. :)
nah i meant to bench them but i forgot that leaving them in the bullpen without manually benching them will cause them to still actually pitch

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”