The AL MAY Review

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

Wasted Memory
Reactions:

The AL MAY Review

Post by Wasted Memory »

I know there's still a game to go, but I'm busy tomorrow soooo.....

APRIL
Spoiler!
AL EAST

Atlanta - A new sight for sure. The Bobcats got off to a solid start in April and are currently looking down at every one else in the division. The hot play of star Joseph Sexton has helped lead the way for his club. The centerfielder has put up a .337 batting average with 6 HR's and 16 RBI's in 24 games. Pitcher Ashton Carrigan could be the biggest surprise though as the 5th starter has put together an impressive 1.23 ERA with 3 W's and no L's.

New England - As mentioned in the AL preview, Atlanta and New England were going to be the threats to..mighty Miami.... The Spitters are trying to keep pace with the division leaders and find themselves just one game back one month in. Stud Luis Torres is willing his team to wins with a blistering .365 ERA and 17 RBI's...from the lead off spot! To keep pace in the East though, the rest of the team will need to get their bats going. Starting pitcher Tom Hensley is looking good as he's racked up 5 wins in 5 starts with a 1.77 ERA.

Boston - Is this fools gold or an indication of things to come for the Minutemen? While lacking in the talent they're used to, Boston has put together a winning record after one month. Obviously the catalyst for the group offensively is Jorge Marino, but it looks like a future superstar is being born before our eyes with new OF'er Ramiro Alomar. The impressive youngster is off to a hot start with a .311 batting average and is showing promise of being the new leader of this group when mighty Marino is gone.

Miami - There you are! Hiding from us like that.. The Vice have gotten off to a bit of a slow start but will surely turn things around soon. The bats are a bit cold right now and the pitching, well... SP William Seals is doing his best to prove others wrong about the Vice rotation. He tallied up 3 wins with a 1.47 ERA in April but is going to need the rest of his pitching mates to buckle down in order to battle back to the top.

Grand Rapids - Congratulations! You do not have the worst record in baseball after just one month. Albert Bravo and Albert Villanueva are off to solid starts batting north of .300 in the early going. Coincidentally enough, both are on the trade block. The pitching doesn't have much to rave about at this time, but hey, it's early.

AL CENTRAL

Nashville - Holding a 4.5 game lead in the early goings. The Hustle have looked good early on and sit at nine games above 500. SS Ryan Kline is punishing pitchers to the tune of 10 HR's in April and the pitching staff has seemingly really solidified itself despite Jose Sandovals rocky start. The one oddity to the team is 2B Warner being listed as the starter on the DC, but is not in the lineup. When will we see this star of the future?

Moose Jaw - Sitting at .500. Probably not the start they have envisioned but it could be much worse. The top of his pitching rotation is struggling at the moment and his closer is anything but. The Diamond Dogs continue to be one of the top defensive units though and will be just fine as they wait for the bats to come alive.

LoLincoln - Probably the highest this team has finished in the division in quite a long time. Michael Willis is off to a good start and probably asking for a trade already. Is it to early to bring Bryan Yang to the majors?

Sheltown - Park, Harris and McBride are a nice solid core for this team and are off to good starts for a rebuilding Shockers team. The starting pitching has not been very good though and the young core just doesn't have enough fire power to keep up with other teams yet. Sheltown has to be eagerly awaiting the return of Lane Sykes to help out with the pitching woes.

Philadelphia - I am a bit surprised at this. I expected a better start to the Cheesesteaks season than 6-18. The bats seem to be doing just fine led by WInebrenner. As seems to be the theme with several teams though, pitching is well below average. Young Anastasio Rodriguez has made his debut in the majors, and surprisingly as the #1. He did go 1-0 in 4 starts but also gave up 15 runs.

AL WEST

Dickmond - Finished the month with the best record in the NDL. No one really cares about this team outside of what's his name though so we'll gloss over it quickly. Pitching has been good, they haven't been THE best offense in the league to start the season though.

Steel City - Up to his usual self. Pitching is solid, the bats are making contact. Bill O'Rorke continues to be an impressive young player for the Bulldogs. A .354 batting average has him at his best start of his three year career. The addition of CF'er Joseph Potts has paid dividends as well. Beetle (did you know that was his nickname? I sure didn't) has put up 9 HR's and 26 RBI's in April. SP Arthur Quick looks like he has taken some serious hits to his ratings but still appears to be getting done in the early goings of the season. He'll be one to keep an eye on at the season continues though.

Cookeville - Barely above .500 and fell flat on their face when facing potential playoff teams in April. Cookeville suffered back to back sweeps from New England and .... to close out the month showing that they are perhaps not the team they thought they were.... Jose Rodriguez is off to a great start and Phil Conner appears to be following suit. Once the bats work out some kinks this team should be alright.

Rhode Island - Have picked up some good wins, but this probably just a mirage. The pitching staff is lack luster with the exception of CL Alejandro Fernandez and his 9 Saves and 1.23 ERA. Nick Hudson is a solid bat but can't continue to carry the team on his own.

Montreal - This is a team that will be fighting for the #1 pick in next years draft. Zak Carney is the hot bat carrying the team right now, but this will most likely be a different person every month. The player on the team to watch, and possibly try to trade for, is CL Tomas Santos. Despite his teams lackluster defense, he finished April having not allowed a single run.

The AL is currently 9-9 vs. the NL.

MAY

AL EAST

Atlanta - Staying put at the top of the East. Sexton continues to be the catalyst in the lineup. He has twice as many HR's as anyone else on the roster and is setting the pace for RBI's with 39. Despite their hot start and lead, the Bobcats are currently only ranked 12th in the AL in batting average though. With some of the offensive firepower in the AL they will need to improve on that. The rotation, at first glance, doesn't appear to be all that great. However, they are 6th in starters ERA and 1st in bullpen ERA. Cruz and Murphy have proved to be valuable off season additions.
Jason Dixon - .324 average in May, but only 8 RBI's
Erik Murphy - Registered 2 Saves, 22 k's, and 0 runs allowed for the month

Miami - Clawing their way up in the division. Finds theirselves only 1.5 games back for the division at the end of May and the bad news for everyone else is the lineup looks like it's still hasn't warmed up yet. William Seals and Joe Burgess have stepped up and sport an impressive 14-3 record between the two of them. The bullpen is holding steady despite Mark Miller.
Jeff Patterson - Crushing the ball in May with 12 HR's and 25 RBI's, but he also has 26 k's.
Mark Miller - A 10.80 ERA in 3 IP across 3 games

New England - Has gone from 2 games above .500 in April to 2 games below .500 at the end of May. Both the bullpen ERA and the batting average are taking nose dives in the conference standings and need to be addressed. Tom Hensley has a solid record at 6-2, but his current ERA sits at 4.00 after being at 1.77 to end April. Four pitchers have an ERA above 6 for the entirety of the month.
Kel Sampson - His batting average is hovering around, well, average but he did contribute 21 RBI with 7 HR's for the month. He's going to need more help from his team mates though.
Tom Hensley - A gaudy 6.05 ERA for the month from your #1 just doesn't cut it.

Boston - For now, Boston will have to settle for feeling the way every other AL team did when playing against them for so long. The rebuild is in full swing and looks to be a couple seasons before we'll see a competitive squad on the field. Marino still hanging around and doesn't appear to be bothered by their record.
Ramiro Alomar - Started out hot in April, but has come back down to earth this month. Alomar put up 6 RBI's in each month, but saw his average drop from .311 to .239
Ricardo Herrera - The lone bright spot on the pitching staff. Converted on 85% of his save opportunities for the month.

Grand Rapids - You can do it. You can overtake Boston. Keep your chin up!
Alberto Bravo - A .487 batting average for the month! Now is your time Growlers management, push for a trade! There were 5 players with averages over .300 for the month. Keep it up.
... - Next

AL CENTRAL

Nashville - Starting to flex some muscle and establish a decent lead in the division. Nashville ranks in the top half of all the major categories in the conference and don't appear to have a major challenger, at this time, in the Central. Warner has finally made it into the lineup and while struggling at the moment, has time to find his bat without being overly worried about losing his spot. Six of the Hustle players are hitting above .300 for the month elevating their squad to 3rd in runs scored.
Mike Wright - Picked it up in May with a .306 average with 5 HR's and a team leading (for the month) 26 RBI.
Jose Sandoval - Racked up 50 strike outs for the month will compiling a 3-0 record and 2.88 ERA

LoLincoln - Woooooow. We're two months through the season and he doesn't have a losing record. Christmas truly came early for the Beef. I'm looking but I don't really see justification for how his team is doing it. Several bats have been hot and the ranking can be deceiving based up other bats being cold. Lincoln fans should enjoy this while they can, it just doesn't seem feasible that they can keep it up.
Tim Johns - Batting .350 but only 15 RBI's on the month. This is their #3 guy. Again, how are they 2nd in this division?
Jose Hernandez - A starting pitcher with 12 IP for the month...and a 9.24 ERA.....

Philadelphia - Here they come! I told you I was surprised by the slow start to the season, in May they lived up to the sort of hype that I gave them in the preseason. A 21-7 May has tied them with the Beef for 2nd in the Central. It seems like every bat picked it up for May with Montes being the hottest of those. Seven of their bats picked up double digit RBI's for the month.
Luke Brandt - Barely missed out on having a .300 average but did contribute 20 RBI's to the cause
Anastasio Rodriguez - Still the name to know in the starting rotation. Helped lower his ERA by only giving up 12 runs in 33 IP for the month.

Moose Jaw - Struggles abound for one of the teams expected to be a contender this season. It doesn't help that May's schedule was littered with the likes of Philly, Lincoln, and OCD. The pitching has been lackluster and the bats just haven't produced like last season. Obviously it's not to late for this team, but they'll need to get it together soon
Glenn Watson - 10 HR's, 16 RBI's, 63 TB's...but 25 k's and a .245 average
Craig Roberts - A 0.57 ERA with 4 saves in 4 tries. Something is going right in the pitching!

Sheltown - Dealt their best SP in Daniels last week, moved another in Hughes the same time. Looking at the rotations and lineups one has to assume the Shockers have already given up on their team for the season.
Charlie McBride - 8 HR's, 18 RBI's and a .317 average. I'll say it again. A bright spot for fans to get behind.

AL WEST

Dickmond - I really, really hate this team. But, unfortunately, they are Bostonesque. By far the scariest rotation in the league. The only weakness appears to be the bullpen...sound familiar? The Greeks lead the AL in runs scored with 303 while only giving up 177, also best for first in the AL. The weakest bat has contributed 10 HR's and 27 RBI's.

Steel City - A 20-8 May brought the Bulldogs within 2.5 games of that other team and appear to be a legitimate challenger for the West crown. Offensively STC is simply clicking right now and the pitching staff continues to dominate. Meija and Quick, the old men of the rotation, are putting up some of their best numbers going 8-0 while allowing a paltry 12 runs in 10 games.
Banks Young - 31 RBI's, 6 HR's, 9 BB"s and only 11 k's to go along with a stellar .379 batting average
Arthur Quick - Went 5-0 in May with 6 ER's in 6 games played.

Cookeville - A team that has benefited significantly from having a weak opening schedule. The lofty numbers are not indicative to what the team really is, as evident by a 1-9 record vs. winning teams. The Cubs don't need to panic yet, but do need to figure out what is holding them back or it could all fall apart by the end of the season.
Wilson Perez - Put up 9 HR's and 27 RBI's during the month
Peter Randolph - Hit a brick wall this month surrendering 8 runs in 12 IP and multiple blown saves

Rhode Island - Have slowed down a bit after a decent start to the early season while in a rebuild. Cut their games won by more than half in May and could now be working on getting a top 3 pick in next years draft. Rank near the bottom in every statistical category.
Antonio Casteneda Batted a whooping .500 in May. Only had two at bats....
Esteban Camacho - Surrendered 34 runs in 36 innings....

Montreal - Wants that #1 pick! May have to fight off Rhode Island for it, but it's definitely possible. On the bright side, they have more W's vs Dickmond than Cookeville does....
There is really nothing to point out about any of the players....

The AL is currently 103-103 vs. the NL.

Bat of the Month - SS Banks Young, STC Bulldogs. Tied for 1st in the league for RBI's on the month (31) along with a solid .379 average.

SP of the Month - Chris Oliver, DIckmond Bleaks. 5-0 on the month while surrendering 7 runs on 33 IP. Oliver did surrender a HR but issued 35 k's. His 1.87 ERA for the month of May led the AL.

RP/CL of the Month - Erik Murphy, Atlanta Bobcats. Allowed only 10 hits and no runs in 14 appearances for the month.

Fifteen pitchers have an ERA in double digits for the month of May. Nine of those are in the AL. Five of those play for one of two teams, New England and Montreal.
Sixty three qualified batters have an average at .300 or better for the season. It's split pretty evenly between AL (33) and NL (30).
In comparison, there are only eight batters with an average below .200 and is again split evenly (4/4) between the two leagues.
One batter has an average at .400 or better. He plays in the AL.
There's a certain 34-18 team that is, gulp, 1-9 vs winning teams....
wdoupis
Reactions:

Re: The AL APRIL Review

Post by wdoupis »

I love these write ups and I am glad you are in the AL now so you can cover the half of the league I pay more attention to
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

The write-ups are fabulous this year.

Thanks Pete

Boston is just floating around, trying to trade Marino, watching the farm each sim, export. 5 minutes a day...boring!
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Wasted Memory wrote:The one oddity to the team is 2B Warner being listed as the starter on the DC, but is not in the lineup. When will we see this star of the future?

Short of using a 7 day lineup, no clue why my manager will not start him.
Very weird and I have tried a few different things.

Great write-up again man.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

The_Niddler wrote:
Wasted Memory wrote:The one oddity to the team is 2B Warner being listed as the starter on the DC, but is not in the lineup. When will we see this star of the future?

He's not in your lineup.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

shel311 wrote:
The_Niddler wrote:

He's not in your lineup.
Thanks, I messed that up.
He was, I was trying different things.
He will be back in the lineup for tomorrows sim.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Re: The AL MAY Review

Post by Wasted Memory »

Bump for May

Enjoy 'em while you can. If/When I fall out of contention for a WC I can't imagine I'll continue writing these :)
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

You’re 34-18 LOL
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Cnasty wrote:You’re 34-18 LOL

Yeah....but my remaining schedule is pretty heavy on, wait for it, WINNING TEAMS :lol:
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

LoLincoln - Woooooow. We're two months through the season and he doesn't have a losing record. Christmas truly came early for the Beef. I'm looking but I don't really see justification for how his team is doing it. Several bats have been hot and the ranking can be deceiving based up other bats being cold. Lincoln fans should enjoy this while they can, it just doesn't seem feasible that they can keep it up.
Tim Johns - Batting .350 but only 15 RBI's on the month. This is their #3 guy. Again, how are they 2nd in this division?
Jose Hernandez - A starting pitcher with 12 IP for the month...and a 9.24 ERA.....
I don't see justification on how we have played this well so far either. But we will take it for now
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

These are pretty great despite not ever wanting to read about my disgusting team
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

LOVE the news and notes at the bottom
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Great write up Pete and congrats on being the most negative 34-18 team of all time!!!!!
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

wdoupis wrote:Great write up Pete and congrats on being the most negative 34-18 team of all time!!!!!

No, no, no. I put a laughy face in there. :)
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I hope you stay in contention as these are fantastic!
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Oops. Next month....

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”