AL Preview

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

Wasted Memory
Reactions:

AL Preview

Post by Wasted Memory »

Opening Day 2060 is upon us. The grass is freshly cut, the base paths are neatly lined, and hope springs eternal for every team. The American League has several teams entering the season with what they feel are legitimate beliefs that their team can win the division and challenge for not only the AL crown but possibly an NDL title as well, If this season is any thing like last year, we will see some good races with the wild cards coming down to the last week of the regular season. Everyone knows Richmond will blow it so it truly is a great year to be an AL team.

AL EAST

Once begrudgingly called the AL Beast, most would pencil in mighty Boston for the NDL championship game and simply begin playing for the bragging rights of 2nd place. Every empire eventually crumbles and that is the case here. It's been a couple seasons since the Kings of Swing have stood atop the league and now new teams are fighting it out for the right to call themselves the Beasts of the East.

Miami - Wadden has built his team up for this exact moment. Winning the East last season with a well assembled offensive group, he should be able to hold onto the title of East Champs this season as well. Where he is lacking is a solid starting rotation. His team will be relying on putting up enough runs to outpace his opponents. The pitching will be good enough to hang on but will struggle with teams that can keep pace with his offensive output. RP Mark Miller is a phenomenal shut down guy, but rumor has it Wadden wants to convert his 12 stamina reliever into a starter....

New England - Saw some signs of life last year with young emerging talent. For me it's a bit of a toss up here between NE and the next team. Having a year of playing together and chemistry I'll pencil the Spitters in as the team to follow up behind Miami. It'll be interesting to see how they set up Becker and Sampson as both are great talents and need to be on the field. To make the next move, GM Riccio is going to need to focus on pitching.

Atlanta - Call me crazy, but kdog made some great moves this off season. I suppose the years...and years....and years of sitting on the sidelines and watching everyone else have fun finally ignited the flame and he's now ready to try and challenge for a possible playoff wildcard. The Bobcats have some exciting young bats in their lineup with Blackshaw, Sexton, and Walker and also added Jason Dixon during the off season. The pitching staff won't blow you away, but is a huge improvement, especially with the additions of Cruz and Murphy. If Atlanta can keep the score close in the late innings those two should provide a chance for the young team to walk away with a W. I'm excited to see what this team does in the division.

Boston - There's not much to believe in Beantown right now. A team that is working on righting the ship financially will spend a few seasons at the bottom of this list but don't believe for a second that won't be back. The farm system is already coming together and will provide a light at the end of the tunnel for GM Krensta. The big story line here though will be Jorge Marino. Will this baseball god spend his final years in Boston or will someone finally pay up for the storied legend?

Grand Rapids - Ummm...... Next.

AL Central

Nashville - The Hustle will definitely be in a dog fight for the Central lead all season. I believe the strength of their pitching staff is slightly ahead of MJ and with the emergence of superstar Kline leading the offense they should be able to ever so slightly hold off any challengers for the division title. If Warner is able to put it together this season that will help solidify Nashville's spot at the top for possibly the next several years.

Moose Jaw - The starting rotation is not quite as good as the Hustle's, but the bullpen is better. If it does come down to close games throughout the season between these two than the Diamond Dogs could surpass them and take the title off the play of Roberts and Carr. I just don't feel that will be the case though. Moose Jaw's strength is in its bats. They have the ability to absolutely punish opposing pitchers and these guys are young. If GM Godlien can get a little bit better on the mound there is no telling what this team could do. In fact, the more I look at the lineup the more inclined I am to switch them with Nashville....

Philadelphia - They have Winebrenner. This changes everything! I don't feel like re-writing Nashville and Moose Jaw, but they should be swapped. Ok, now back to Philly. They have quietly put together a nice pitching staff. Some of it is young, very young, talent but the talent is there. SP Rodriguez will be a household name in a couple of seasons, 3B Martinez, CF Walshe are up and coming bats, and still some talent in the farm system. They're not challengers just yet but their time is coming. And they have Winebrenner.

Sheltown - Four years removed from a title, the last few pieces of talent are all on the block. Another team that is trying to avoid financial hardship and begin the rebuild process. There is some talent on the team in the likes of Harris, McBride, Martinez, and Johnson but it's not enough to be competitive in the Central. Young Lane Sykes can't stay off the IR and Pete Daniels is on the block. The pitching staff will be in shambles through the season. But they're still better than....

Lincoln - Seriously. How has this GM not been fired? This has got to be nepotism....

AL West

This division is just brutal. It is quite possible this division finishes with the three best records in the AL. They boast three of the better pitching staffs, two of the lineups that have proven to be deadly and one that has improved dramatically over the off season. Fortunately for the other AL teams, they will have to beat up on each other in order to survive and advance.

Steel City - Why are they here? Because no one has unseated them yet. A solid power lineup and a pitching staff that now has Quick back for the season. Get past their starting rotation and now you face Valdez and Aguilar. The addition of CF Potts during the off season was a big win for STC and a huge disappointment for every other West team. Meredith, Young, O'Rorke, De Los Santos, the names go on and on and on. I keep believing this team is getting old and will start to slip but it hasn't happened yet. I'm starting to believe it won't.

Richmond - The self proclaimed king of baseball. Always believes his team is the best. If the ratings aren't high he'll tell you that doesn't matter it's all about stats. If the stats aren't there he'll tell you it's about the ratings and how good they are....yeesh... William has assembled a very solid squad with few weaknesses. The bad news is he's going from Richmond to Poormond this coming off season. Who am I kidding? That's good news. His #1-#4 spots in the starting rotation are lights out. The addition of SP Jeremy McGuire was a coup for the Geeks. You'll have to go pretty deep in his lineup to find a weak bat. Yep, the makings of a champ are all here. But...we all know how this song ends. The Bleeks greatest struggle has always been closing out games. Let's just all sit back and enjoy watching it fall apart again.

Cookeville - Solid pitching staff with a superstar in the making in Jose Rodriguez, a solid bullpen with Delgado, Stewart, and Randolph. Score early, it's going to be difficult to score late. The lineup is starting to come together and is much improved from last season. The additions of Lopez, Perez, Vargo, and Brown add the much needed punch this team lacked a year ago. Most predict they'll play 3rd fiddle in the division though. With a few lucky breaks they could definitely work their way up in those standings however.

Rhode Island - Hard to believe this team had such high expectations a season ago and just a year removed are a shell of themselves. A huge sell off at the end of the season was needed to save themselves from financial devastation. The Red Wolves still have a player or two that will help keep them around, but lack enough star power to keep them relevant. David Hewitt is most likely entering the final year of his contract (TO for 2061), Nick Hudson is a young 2B that could become a star, Alejandro Fernandez may have enough left in the tank for another season of closing games out...but after that there isn't much. Seeing these three traded off is also a possibility as the season moves on.

Montreal - Espichan, Sellers, Flores, and Santos. That's it. One of those is a relief pitcher. The rebuild continues.

PLAYOFFS

Miami
Moose Jaw
Steel City
Richmond
Cookeville
Nashville

AL Champs
Steel City

Now for the NL....
Spoiler!
Good luck. You got that Cedar Rapids guy. Ask him to write something up......
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: AL Preview

Post by Cnasty »

Dude.....

Speechless.

Bravo Santa Wasted
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Also that AL West might be one of the most stacked divisions we have seen. Going to be fun watching that play out.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Wasted Memory wrote:Steel City - Why are they here?
Because you are a delusional Richmond hater!!!!!!

Because nobody has unseat him lol??? What are you a 60 year old baseball announcer
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

But, great write up and its awesome for you to take the time to do this for the NDL.

Hey NL, it seems I remember an owner who may have just come back that used to be famous for something he did on Fridays......
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

wdoupis wrote:

Because nobody has unseat him lol??? What are you a 60 year old baseball announcer
Ha, like I was going to put you first? I'd be a homer to put me there. STC wins by process of elimination!

But seriously. He is back to back West champs. Right? :)
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

It took me entirely too long to figure out who "Santos" was from Steel City... Solid stuff Pete throughout
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

DRWebs wrote:It took me entirely too long to figure out who "Santos" was from Steel City... Solid stuff Pete throughout

Thanks. I was to lazy to type out De Los.... :)

and now I realize there is an Ivan...but he's not very relevant. ;)
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

great stuff!

I'm not even hoping for "Feel Good Friday" level Boston Rob. I'm just hoping for we don't get "I'm soooooooo busy for 12 minutes a day of OOTP" Boston Rob.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

wdoupis wrote:Hey NL, it seems I remember an owner who may have just come back that used to be famous for something he did on Fridays......

Whoa, whoa, whoa, half-assed writeups or not regularly writeups ok, but famous? ;) :D
I keed Rob!

Very cool Pete and had me laughing at the Richmond write up!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Wasted Memory wrote:
wdoupis wrote:

Ha, like I was going to put you first? I'd be a homer to put me there. STC wins by process of elimination!

Yeah but is he the preseason prediction division leader ;) ?
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

DRWebs wrote:
Wasted Memory wrote:
wdoupis wrote:

Yeah but is he the preseason prediction division leader ;) ?
He's my preseason prediction division leader. Nothing else matters. :)
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I really feel Marino should go to the NL so I don’t have to see him as much but the NL is so...blah

Can’t have him disappear into oblivion.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote:I really feel Marino should go to the NL so I don’t have to see him as much but the NL is so...blah

Ted won't let him go to oblivion :)
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

DRWebs wrote:
Cnasty wrote:I really feel Marino should go to the NL so I don’t have to see him as much but the NL is so...blah

when corey says he wants to send him to the NL, what he means is the other 14 teams in the NL not named Washington.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

this is awesome! clap clap, clap clap clap
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Great stuff and I completely agree with your assessment of my team.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Uuaww wrote:
DRWebs wrote:

when corey says he wants to send him to the NL, what he means is the other 14 teams in the NL not named Washington.
This is correct.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

I love that the AL West is by far the best division in the NDL tbh
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Best division but will never represent the AL in the world series.

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”