Biggest Upsets of All-Time

trendon
Reactions:

Biggest Upsets of All-Time

Post by trendon »

As per Massey Ratings. The lower the score the better as it reflects the odds of this occurring again given the same teams and seasonal results. Does not include bowls. Rank listed is Massey's.

1. #78 Northwestern 24 (SgtHeartman) vs #4 Rutgers 20 (BIGmike) [Season 13]
Rating: .035

An opening season game that looked harmless enough until Rutgers won their next eleven games while Northwestern finished 3-9.

2. #114 Colorado State 19 (MVikes84) at #41 Kent State 6 (BigRy) [Season 15]
Rating: .043

After this week two victory, Colorado State managed only two more wins: consecutive wins over 0-12 Duke and 0-12 Utah State.

3. #41 California 22 (6ftdeep) at #1 Southern California 21 (shel311) [Season 17]
BOXSCORE

California came into this Week 3 game 2-1 while the Trojans pasted their first three opponents. However, the Bears would hold on to the ball for a whopping 15:52, outpass and outrun the Trojans while holding them off long enough to convert the game-winning field goal with under thirty seconds to play. While Southern California would right the ship and continue to crush their opponents all the way to an NDL title berth, California floundered late and finished 6-6.

4. #117 Buffalo 28 (StingU) vs #58 Bowling Green 27 (threecrosses) [Season 6]
Rating: .073

In Week 5, winless Buffalo shocked Bowling Green. Buffalo wouldn't win again while Bowling Green finished 9-4.

5. #76 Navy 13 (bearass) at #8 Texas A&M 10 (kellytheguy) [Season 13]
Rating: .084

After this opening week loss, Texas A&M would win 11 of their next 12 games (losing only to Oklahoma) while finished 4-8.

6. #113 San Jose State 35 (PvtPain) vs #79 Alabama 28 (kluchman) [Season 1]
Rating: .086

0-2 San Jose State upset 2-0 Alabama and started the Tide on a plunge; losing six of their last eight games. San Jose State would follow this game up with wins over Southern Methodist and Rice before losing seven in a row, including losses of 50-0, 35-0, and 48-0.

7. #66 Miami 17 (dukeinla42) vs #9 Florida State 3 (nole4real) [Season 3]
Rating: .091

Florida State (8-3) ultimately finished with the third-best defense in the land, but they couldn't get anything done in an opening week loss to Miami, who would finsh 4-7.

8. #55 Kent State 41 (doc1424) vs #7 Auburn 36 (Daw1git) [Season 13]

Rating: .100

3-5 Kent State shocks 8-1 Auburn, a win even more impressive considering Auburn finished 11-2 by winning out against Georgia at home and on the road against Alabama and Florida.

9. #111 Duke 7 (baker) at #33 Florida State (bushwicktarheels) [Season 12]
Rating: .103

This win would represent Duke's lone win of the season. Florida State, suffereing a hangover after a big win versus Miami, limped through the rest of the season; finishing 7-5.

10. #95 Mississippi State 26 (pilot1214) vs #16 Michigan (JeffMo) [Season 9]
Rating: .107

The Rebels were 1-4 headed in to the game while Michigan was 5-1 with only a loss to 11-1 Penn State on their record. Michigan wouldn't lose again, finishing 10-2, while Mississippi State never won again on the field, getting a forfeit win versus Kentucky.

BUMPED FROM THE TOP 10

10. #76 Washington 35 (TattooBoyP) at #4 California (PacksyD) [Season 3]
Rating: .109

California lost one game ... this was it. Washington, on the other hand, took this big Week 2 win and parlayed it into a 3-8 season.
trendon
Reactions:

Re: Biggest Upsets of All-Time

Post by trendon »

ADDED ...

3. #41 California 22 (6ftdeep) at #1 Southern California 21 (shel311) [Season 17]

California came into this Week 3 game 2-1 while the Trojans pasted their first three opponents. However, the Bears would hold on to the ball for a whopping 15:52, outpass and outrun the Trojans while holding them off long enough to convert the game-winning field goal with under thirty seconds to play. While Southern California would right the ship and continue to crush their opponents all the way to an NDL title berth, California floundered late and finished 6-6.
Trojans Quest For a Title Stopped Dead In Its Tracks
Cal takes out USC with late field goal, 22-21 victory for the Bears
USC's run for an undefeated season came to an end early, as Cal won a thrilling 22-21 game.

USC struggled to stop Cal's passing game. They held Best in check, but maybe put too much empasis on stopping the run game, and let the passing game get the best of them.

Still, USC was up 1 at the half, then posted a great 1st drive of the 3rd quarter and a TD, to go up 21-13.

After the USC D forced a punt, Coach Shel was looking to go for the kill and get another score to get up by 2 possessions into the 4th quarter. But Cal had other intentions. QB Aaron Corp got hit as he threw, and Cal DB Mike Mohamed picked off the pass and took it back for the score.

Cal would miss the 2 point conversion, making it 21-19.

Corp would throw another costly INT while in FG range in the 4th quarter.

Cal would make him pay as they drove down the field late in the game, and got a game winning FG with under :30 to play.

Helluva game 6ft
http://votethegoat.com/NDL/boxscores/17UC-USC.HTM
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Good thing you didnt post this yesterday as it would have completed Shel's "worst day ever" :lol:
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

Cnasty wrote:Good thing you didnt post this yesterday as it would have completed Shel's "worst day ever" :lol:
whatever do you mean?
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

ahhh, i meant to bump that thread.

I knew i'd win when he was talking bout the saints losing and everything else.....he shoulda postponed :)
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

trendon wrote:Biggest Upsets of All-Time
Season 17, Florida over USC. Duh.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Nole4real wrote:I knew i'd win when he was talking bout the saints losing and everything else.....he shoulda postponed :)

Man, I went from everything being awesome Saturday, thinking my TIgers no longer have to face the 2 best coaches in the nation, since Meyer was leaving.

Wake up Sunday, find out, Meyer isn't leaving. Chavis may leave LSU.

Then, the Saints blow a 17-0 lead against the 2-12 Bucs when they could have secured homefield.

Then I lose to Nole.

Then, the Vikings come back from down 17 in the 2nd half. Bears miss a FG in OT.

Bears were my saving grace though, pulling it out. Had the Vikes won, I'd be on major tilt right now!!!
packsyD22
Reactions:

Post by packsyD22 »

O man I remember wen Tat beat me. Sad thing is twice on the last game winning drive he lined up in a 4-4 against 4 and 5 wide and ran the all out blitz and both times batted my pass down. I miss john...man did he suck.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

packsyD22 wrote:O man I remember wen Tat beat me. Sad thing is twice on the last game winning drive he lined up in a 4-4 against 4 and 5 wide and ran the all out blitz and both times batted my pass down. I miss john...man did he suck.
I remember the very 1st time I played him when I had Arizona St back in the day.

I had heard about him but really didn't realize his offense and option run and I couldn't stop it.

So, he's beating me something like 31-10 and has the ball with less than :20 left. He runs 2 play actions AND a hail mary on the last play of the game. :lol:

After that, I never lost to him again.

Return to “Historical”